6 - Perfect

Jack woke the next morning feeling heat radiating on his face and chest. At first he thought he had covered himself with to many blankets, but when he cracked his eyes open he was surprised to see Mark's face close to his own. At first he just laid there, letting his eyes adjust to the light and letting his eyesight come into focus. As he did, he studied his best friend's face for a moment. He looked so peaceful, so ... beautiful. Jack had always been in awe of Mark's natural beauty, sometimes he didn't think it was fair how one man could be so perfect. From his outward appearance, to the pure beauty of his heart and soul. Always so giving, and worrying about others, putting them before himself. He gave a little sigh at the thought. It made him want to touch the other man, even just a little. To feel the softness of Mark's skin against his own, the notion caused his heart to tighten, and put butterflies in his stomach. He thought a small touch couldn't hurt, but when he went to reach up, he found his hand was captured by both of Mark's. This made him smile, here he was already touching the man. Many questions were running through his mind, like why was Mark even laying beside him, albeit over the covers, holding his hand? Why did he have a bunch of butterflies in his gut right now. How can someone, whom he's seen hundreds of times, look so damn beautiful while asleep?

But considering how content he felt, he really didn't mind, because in this moment, he felt at peace with himself. The sadness that usually felt like a cold, wet, heavy blanket weighing him down was gone, replaced with light, warmth, and a pleasant feeling.

Mark began to move, so he slowly extracted his hand from Mark's, and turned on to his back while stretching out his whole body. He turned to face the ceiling and laid his hands above his head before turning back to face Mark, who was slightly blushing.

"Morning sunshine," he said with a smile. Mark just grunted a morning while sitting up, rubbing sleep out of his eyes. "I thought you said it was cold sleeping on top of the covers," Jack said without thinking.

"You want me to be under the covers with you next time?" Mark asked.

It was Jack's turn to blush as he felt his cheeks begin to burn red. He sat up and turned away from his friend letting his legs dangle off the side of the bed.

"Maybe," Jack whispered to quiet for Mark to hear, but enough to realize what he had said out loud to himself. The answer totally took him by surprise.

"Owe, damn," his friend said, and Jack turned and found Mark rubbing at the base of his neck on the left side.

"You alright?" he asked concerned.

"Just got a kink in my neck from sleeping in to many chairs." Mark was trying to rub out the obvious knot that had formed in the crook of his neck.

Jack climbed around the bed, and positioned himself behind Mark and brushed his hands away.

"Here, let me," he said softly.

He rubbed his hands together for a moment to make sure they were warm, and then began to rub out the knot that was causing his friend grief. He could feel Mark's shoulders slump and relax as he massaged the tension away.

"Where did you learn how to give a massage?" Mark asked a bit surprised.

"The Internet," came Jack's reply.

"What?"

"Well after that amazing hand massage you gave me last year, I couldn't let you also be better at those then me, now could I?" Jack teased.

This statement made Mark pull away for a moment and look at him questioning.

"Better than you? What is this a competition?" Mark asked.

"No, of course not ..." Jack felt like he started something he didn't intend. "It's just ..."

"Just what?" Mark asked turning forward again so Jack could continue rubbing out the knot.

"Just that you're always so good at everything so ... perfect," Jack admitted.

This caused Mark to laugh and Jack sat back on his heels pausing in his task, but keeping his hands on Mark's shoulder.

"Perfect? Are you kidding me?" Mark turned slightly to look at him, making him drop his hands away. "I'm far from perfect Jack, if anything I have a lot of living up to do if I want to compare to you," he said looking him right in the eyes.

Jack was suddenly humbled, and he looked down at this lap, where his hands were now idle.

"I'm not perfect," Jack said softly. He felt the bed shift and was taken by surprise when Mark placed a few fingers under his chin and lifted Jack's gaze to meet his.

"You are to me," Mark said equally softly.

Jack just sat there stunned, unsure of what to say in that moment. He could see Mark's face flush, and eventually his friend looked away as he got up from the bed.

"I should get back to my room and get ready, ... I'll ... um see you later," the gamer said before he grabbed his jacket and headed out the door.

Again, Jack was slow to respond, and didn't process Mark leaving until the door was already closing. He fell forward into the bed.

"FUCK IT ALL TO HELL!" he yelled into his pillow, while punching it with his left hand. "Good going you bloomin' idiot, just fucking mess up another relationship, what the fuck is wrong with me?" His eyes began to burn, but he didn't bother with keeping the tears away, and they soaked the pillow as they fell.

After a while, he got up and grabbed his phone, and quickly sent a text out, hoping to mend what he may have just broken.

Hey, sorry I was an idiot earlier. I just never been called perfect before. Took me by surprise. Still friends?

Jack held his breath as he pressed send on his phone. He waited for what felt like forever, and as he was about to give up, his phone buzzed in his hand.

No biggie. Coming to breakfast? I made sure to save some waffles for you.

A huge boulder of worry and self doubt just lifted off of his shoulders, and he smiled and whooped for joy. He quickly got himself ready for the day and left to meet his friends for breakfast, and the start of the PAX convention.