Part 19

Three weeks later, the first snow fell in Eagle. Liam was beyond excited. He drove up to the store, eight of his dogs pulling a sled. "Come on, Gen! I'll show you what I really love!"

Gen pouted. "What? You don't really love me?"

Liam walked over, kissing her. "You know what I meant. Warm coat, hat, mittens, boots. Let's go!"

Gen got on her winter gear and Liam settled her into the sled. It was long and narrow, with the perfect amount space for her. She felt warm and comfortable. Liam explained that it was really space for a hurt dog. The sled also had food, dog bowls and hay. Liam stood on the back of the sled, on the runners that glided over the snow. Eight of his dogs were attached to ropes that would pull the sled. They had on harness and breakway collars, both things attached to the other dogs and the sled. He started talking to her about the different kinds of dogs, lead dogs, swing dogs, and wheel dogs. The wheel dogs were the strongest. Max, Carl's dad, was a wheel dog. Lucy wasn't on the team today and another smaller dogs, Rex, was also missing. Liam explained that he had a split on his food pad and needed to rest. She also noticed that all of the dogs were wearing little booties on their feet. She couldn't wait to see Liam doing that chore. Putting shoes on dogs must not be easy.

Liam covered her with some kind of fur blanket. She didn't ask and didn't really want to know. Carl came bounding out of the store and jumped in the sled with Gen. "Oh, no, little guy." Liam said. "Dogs don't ride until they pull, buddy." He lifted Carl off the sled and set him on the porch. "Ready, Gen?" She nodded and Liam stood on the back of the sled and yelled, "Mush!". The dogs started to run, moving much faster than Gen would have thought was possible. Liam drove the dogs over what looked like a well worn trail that led through the woods surrounding Eagle. Gen had no sense of direction, so she didn't even pretend to know where they were going. She heard barking behind her, pushed herself up and looked back. Carl was chasing the sled. She starting shaking Liam's arm. He looked down at her and yelled, "Whoa!" pressing on the brake. The sled came to a stop and Carl went dashing by, heading for the other dogs. He was barking and jumping around, trying to make the other dogs run.

"That damn dog!" Liam yelled. "He's messing up our time! Well, if he wants to run, let's let him run." Liam yelled for the dogs to go and Carl ran along side of them, having the time of his life. When he started to lag behind, Liam stopped the dogs, scooped him up and dropped him in the sled with Gen. "I told you he was a sled dog." he said, winking. Gen smiled back and made Carl lay down, not wanting him to jump off the sled. Liam ran the dogs for several hours before stopping. He pulled hay out of the sled and spread it around for the dogs to lay on. Then, he pulled out the bowl and fed the dogs. Carl jumped out of the sled and went to lay by his dad.

"Now it's time for me to rest." Liam pulled the blanket off Gen on dove on top of her, kissing her over and over, pulling at her jacket.

"Are you trying to make me freeze to death?" she laughed.

Liam looked down at her. "No. But, I've always wanted to do this. Like, in my sled?"

"In the middle of winter?"

Liam sighed. "It's the beginning of winter. And it's not that cold. Next time, when we go over night, I'll bring the tent. Right now, I'm taking off your coat." He reached down, kissing her and working her out of her coat. He pulled off his own coat, throwing it out of the sled. He kept kissing her, running his hands up under her shirt and down, rubbing her bottom.

"What are you doing to me?" she panted. "How do you make me feel like this?"

"It's a gift." he said, his face lost in her neck. Liam pulled off his shirt and unbuttoned his pants, pushing them down and out of his way. He grabbed the blanket, covering them both completely, before he went to work on her pants. "I want you, so much, Gen. Please." he begged.