Part 7

"What was that all about?" Harry asked.

Gen shook her head, grabbed her bag and went into the bathroom, pulling on shorts and a tee-shirt to sleep in. She left the bathroom and crawled into one of the beds. She heard Harry change and he turned off the light, crawling into bed with her. "What are you doing?" she asked.

"Uh, getting to know you better?" Harry said.

"You can do that from the other bed."

Harry huffed. "Fine. I get it. Dang." he said. "Not even a kiss?"

Gen thought of the kiss Liam had given her. She didn't think Harry could top that. "No. Sorry." she said. "Maybe tomorrow." she laughed.

"Yes!" Harry said. "Not completely shut down!"

Gen laughed and told him goodnight, closing her eyes and trying to not see Liam's face as she drifted into a deep, bone tired, sleep.

The entire group reassembled at the free breakfast, deciding who was going back to help and who needed to leave. Gen stood close to Harry, not saying anything, unsure of Liam's plan. She needed to do whatever he was doing. In the end, Harry, Liam, Louis and his wife, Rachel, were going back to the site. Everyone else needed to leave. Liam turned to her. "What about you? Staying? Going?"

"Uh, I don't really know...I mean, I came with you, so I guess..." she started. She was uncomfortable and unsure of what to say.

"You came with me, but you don't seem to be leaving with me. Seems like you're with Harry, now, right? You can do whatever you want. Here." He handed her a plane ticket. "This will get you home. You don't need me." He turned, face blank, and walked over to his friends.

Harry grabbed her hand, not giving her a choice, and pulled her into the van. She sighed, still tired from the day before. Harry pulled her into the van and put his arm back around her. She laid her head on him and fell asleep.

Harry shook her awake, an hour later, telling her that they had arrived. Sighing, she climbed out of the van and headed over to wash animals. Liam and Harry both went to clean the beach. "So," Harry started. "What's her deal? Spill it. Single? Taken? She's hot, man."

"You didn't ask her if she was single before you slept with her? Really? I mean, jeez, Harry!" Liam said, not disguising the anger in his voice.

"Woah! Take a step back, bro. Why are you angry with me? You like her, man? You sure don't act like you do..."

"Uh, no. I don't like her. I mean, really, she slept with you after just..."

"Stop. She wouldn't even kiss me, Payno. That's why I'm asking. She flat out turned me down." Harry said.

Liam looked over to where Gen was washing a Sea Gull. "She didn't even kiss you?"

Harry shook his head. "So, what's her deal?"

Liam was still watching her. She was messing with his head, again. Why did he keep running back to see her, anyhow? Why did he bring her here? He didn't like her, even as a person. "She's single." he said and went back to washing oil off rocks.

On the plane, Gen wouldn't even look at Liam. She stared at her phone, texting and playing games.

The plane had 4 seats. There was no avoiding her. He tried to talk to her but he couldn't find the right words, so he just stared at her, instead.

Finally, Gen turned to him and said, "WHAT?"

Liam flinched, startled. "I was trying to think of a way to ask you about Harry? And me? I mean, do you like Harry? Are you going to see him again?"

Gen just shrugged. "He's nice. And it's not like I have many options. Alaska isn't swimming with nice 20 something guys who want to date a spoiled, pain in the ass, brat, right?" She turned away, reached in her pocket for her earbuds, and put them in, ending the conversation.

The car ride was quick and she didn't even say goodbye. She just grabbed her bag and walked into the shop. He dad was manning the counter, Carl right next to him. "Hey, sweetheart. Have fun?" She nodded and dropped to her knees, hugging Carl.

"Why is he here? I thought he was with Mrs. Payne?" she asked.

Her dad looked embarrassed. "Well, to be honest..."

"You missed him, didn't you?" she grinned.

"NO! Get that mutt out of here!" he said, trying to save face. She laughed, scooped up him and her bag, heading to her room to unpack. She was heading up the stairs when the phone rang. It was her mother. She didn't want to talk to her mother. Then the texts started.

Mom: Answer your phone, young lady.

Mom: Did you forget to do something yesterday?

Mom: Your counselor called, concerned.

Mom: Don't you have any sense of responsibility? Are you trying to ruin your life?

Gen: What are you talking about?

Mom: You needed to register? For your fall classes? You missed the deadline!

Gen: That was this week?

Mom: For the love of god, child! What did I do wrong with you? Why are you being so stupid? What happened to the daughter I raised?

Mom: Answer me

Mom: Genevieve Louise Walker, Answer your phone. Are you trying to ruin your life? Drinking? Casual Sex? What else don't I know about? I taught you better than this.

Gen wasn't going to answer her phone and let another person tell her how awful she was. First her dad, then Liam and now her mother. She was done being put down. Nobody even listened to her, anyhow. They just assumed. She sat Carl next to her and curled around him. She was going to sleep and hope to wake up in a different life.