Part 9

When Liam got back into town, a week later, he didn't even stop at his place. He drove the extra half hour to see Genny. He needed to make things right with her. If he did like her, he needed to tell her. He needed to see if she liked him back. He was sure she did. He thought. He hoped. He'd been such an ass to her. Sure, she was a brat and she needed to hear the truth, but she'd stopped annoying him weeks ago and he was still being a jerk. He should have told her Sophia wasn't his girlfriend right away.

The store was closed by the time he got to town, so he knocked on the back door, feeling nervous, hoping someone was still awake to answer. He heard clomping on the stairs as he stood there, biting his lip, nervous to see her. The door opened and she stood there, holding that damn dog, he thought, and looking beautiful, bathed in a pool of light from the apartment. "Liam?" she said, confused.

"Uh..." he didn't know what to say. How could he say everything he wanted to say?

"Do you know what time it is?"

Liam nodded, trying to find his courage. He stepped forward, put his hand on her cheek and pulled her close, lowering his full pink lips onto hers. He put slight pressure, waiting to see if she responded. She took her free hand and put it on the back of his neck, pulling him closer. He smiled, breaking the kiss and looking into her eyes. "It's 11." he said. She smiled back and pulled him back to her, kissing him again, this time, letting herself relax, enjoying the feeling of his lips on hers. He kissed her once more, moving his tongue into her mouth, making her knees weak, again. She'd been waiting a long time for this kiss.

Finally, Carl started to wiggle, demanding to be put down so Gen broke the kiss, stepped back from Liam and did just that. "So," she began, grinning up at him, while Carl ran into the yard, chasing bugs. "When did you get back?"

"I haven't been home, yet. I came straight here, drove right by my place. I needed to see you. I needed to tell you that Sophia isn't my girlfriend. I should have told you right away, that first night, but I thought you liked Harry."

Gen shook her head. "I was trying to make you jealous. I wanted you to pay attention to me. Immature, uh?" she said, blushing. Carl ran back over to Gen and went up the stairs. "Do you want to come in and talk?" She nodded her head up in the direction the dog had gone. Liam nodded. She took his hand, leading him up the stairs and into her bedroom. Carl had already jumped into the bed, waiting for Gen.

"You shouldn't let that dog sleep in your bed." Liam said.

"Are you going be mean to me again? I thought you came here to kiss me?" Gen said, giving him a shy smile. Liam grinned back at her, leaning down to kiss her, once again. This time he wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her close to his body. He let his hands wander up and down her back as he worked his mouth over hers. When he stopped, he leaned his forehead against hers, looking down at her feet.

"I came here to be mean AND to kiss you." he said with a grin. Gen rolled her eyes at him and flopped herself onto her bed. She pulled Carl onto her stomach and patted the bed. Liam pulled of his jacket and shoes, laying next to her. "This puppy is going to be 50 pounds of muscle. This will be his bed and not yours if you keep letting him sleep here."

"He cries if I put him on the floor." Genny said.

Liam leaned in to kiss her again. "I'd cry if you put me on the floor, too." he said, teasing her.

She wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him to her lips. Her lips moved against his, over and over while he let his hands rub her back and arms. Liam rolled her onto her back and hovered over her, moving his kisses to her neck. That was when Carl decided that he was being left out and climbed in between Liam and Gen, licking both of them. Liam rolled off her, laughing. "Told you not to let him in the bed." Liam said, laying on his back. Gen settled herself on his chest. He put an arm around her and rubbed her arm before squeezing her. "It's a good thing I like you." he said, closing his eyes. "and your dog, too."