• chapter six •

No one could remember my name to save their lives, no matter how many times I repeated it. Eventually they all just resorted to calling me H, bypassing my first name entirely. I couldn't be bothered to even fight it, I wanted nothing more than for the day to be over.

Filling out the paperwork was a headache and a half with Gary's nephew (who I learned was named Thomas) blasting music through the studio. It wasn't loud enough to disturb the customers, but it was annoying enough to disturb me. I only recognized one song out of the entire playlist, and it was Gives You Hell by The All American Rejects. And I'm pretty sure he hummed the entire thing just to spite me.

I ran into a hiccup with the paperwork when it asked for my address. I had half a mind to put my address back home but decided against it. The last thing I needed was anything leading her here. I put the address of the hotel with my room number instead.

Gary looked both confused and irritated to say the least. Before I could walk away to the corner that was temporarily dubbed my station, he pulled me aside.

He held the papers out to me as if he wanted me to grab them. I had no more tricks up my sleeve other than to just look at him expectantly.

"As much as I don't care to know, I have to ask for the sake of my business. What is your deal? Are you on the run or something? Most Wanted? Am I dealing with a fugitive right now?"

I could feel my left eye twitching. "No."

My one word response didn't satisfy him in the slightest. He shifted back onto his right heel, nodding slowly.

"And any reason you smell a little... moldy?"

I've already beat him senseless like three times in my head.

"Favorite outfit, just can't stop wearing it." I gritted, forcing myself to look anywhere but him. He seemed to be looking all over my face for any indication of a lie.

He shook the papers so the sound of them rustling would draw my attention again.

"Do I have anything to worry about?"

This time I shook my head curtly. "No. I told you, I just moved here. I don't have an apartment yet but I'm looking, until then I'm just going with the flow."

Gary eyeballed me, searching again for anything upwards of a farce. He grumbled when he came up short. Weaving around me, he walked into another room. I could've sworn I heard him say something under his breath, but he finished just as fast as he started.

So, I moved on to Sawyer of whom despite the ugly name, wasn't that bad of a person. She was just talkative. It was enough for the both of us, and she definitely knew how to kill the silence in a room. Some moments I got the notion that it's because she didn't know how to comfortably sit in it.

"Sorry if I'm prying."

I shook my head slightly, glancing at her face before turning my attention back down to her leg. I honestly didn't even know she was talking to me.

"I'm sorry, what? I wasn't paying attention."

She winced, the nerves in her leg beginning to fire up. I could feel her thigh trembling under my hand.