All the ifs

With all my schoolwork I hardly had time to worry about myself left alone about Trey

With all my schoolwork I hardly had time to worry about myself left alone about Trey. He'd called, messaged, emailed, sent flowers but I wasn't trying to hear it. This wasn't his first or second time, and once a cheater always a cheater. He wasn't going to change and I wasn't the foolish naïve girl he'd met 2 years ago thinking that he would. It had been 3 weeks. Thanksgiving break was approaching and Marcus and I had already promised Ms. April that we'd be down again. I didn't know how it was going to work seeing as I wasn't speaking to Trey. We weren't a couple, and my heart was still twitching from the thought of him lying to me. What else had he been dishonest about? I tried to cloud my brain with schoolwork so I didn't have to think about it at all. I was reading over some notes when a notification popped up saying I'd gotten another email. It was from Trey but it had a file attached to it.

all_the_ifs.mp3

I clicked the link and waited for the song to download. It started immediately through my iTunes.

It's still ringing in my ear.. You screamin I don't care.. And I can see it like it just went down..Me walking out of there.. I still seem em on ya face baby.. So many tears..And I remember feeling like I'm bout to explode.. Got to get up outta here..

It's like my sun don't shine.. It's like my ride don't roll.. It's like the only one thing I love.. Don't love me no more..It's like my right gone wrong..It's like my ice turned warm..Cuz the only one thing I love don't love me no more..

Then the song got clearer and I could hear Trey's voice like he was outside my door. Then I noticed he was. I walked over slowly.

" If I hadn't slacked up on my pimpin.. You'd be here with me.. If I'd-a stayed instead of dipping.. You'd still be here with me.. If' I'd-a prayed instead of wishing..You'd still be here with me.. But all the ifs in the world won't bring you back again..."

I opened the door and he just looked at me, still singing.

"I wish that I could run that back.. But in life you can't press rewind.. Cuz the only way to fix this thang..Is to go back in time.. Cuz if I had my way.. Yesterday would be right now.. Instead of fighting we'd be making love..Til' the sun go down.."

"Trey-"

He put his finger over my lips.

"I could just hold you Danni..If I could just kiss you Danni..If I could get my Danni back..If I could I would.. If I could just see you baby..If we could talk this out..Danni if we can be back together..I promise that I'll be good forever.."

What other guy would write, record, and come sing a song to his girl? I swore this type of stuff only happened in the movies.

"Will you really be good forever?"