Chapter 20 - Hayden

I'm thinking, quiet enfolding me like an envelope encasing an important letter. Only I'm trying to open the letter, to find the truth because I know how difficult it would be to ask for help. Especially from the person who closed the envelope in the first place.

I feel a soft grip my arm and I'm spun around, facing Mia who is smiling more then I've ever seen her before. As much as I want to return her kindness, I falter. Recently I have a lot of questions when it comes to her, especially with her lying to me.

Her smile drops as soon as she absorbs the cool atmosphere and she looks nervous, unsure of what to say. I feel a little sympathy for her with her expression and flick a weak smile at her.

'Hi,' I say simply and she matches my pace as I begin to walk again.

'What's wrong?'

Now I decide. Do I confront her or do I leave it and pretend it never happened? Assume it was just an honest mistake? The latter appears more desirable and yet, I am contained with unexplainable curiosity.

I stop in the center of the hall and pull her to the left where we won't be in the way.

'I need some answers,' I say and she nods slowly, mentally trying to figure out what I mean.

'Elaborate,' She says and I hesitate before speaking again.

'Why did you lie to me,' I say, no sharpness in my voice but merely calm. I want to know the truth, not start an argument.

She looks distraught, eyes downcast, informing me that my thoughts are correct. This hadn't been a mistake.

'What do you mean?'

'You told me Rayna wanted to go with Ben to the dance when really, it wasn't that was it?'

Silence. Cold silence that means I'm hitting close to home. I know I'm making a big deal out of this and yet I'm also filled with nerves which makes things worse. I want to ask Mia out, so badly and yet I don't want her to lie to me.

'You wouldn't understand, Hayden,' She says. They are difficult words to interpret so I question her further.

'What wouldn't I understand?'

'I was protecting you. The last thing I wanted was for you to be dragged into Rayna's mess,'

'Rayna's mess?' Those words seem a little harsh, 'She's meant to be your friend...'

'She is,' She sighs, 'but you know what I mean, by hanging around with her you're creating a reputation for yourself and I don't want that on you. The people in this school aren't nice,'

I stare at her, unable to comprehend her words since they make no sense to me.

'Do I really look like the person to give a damn of what other people think of me? As long as I know Rayna is who she says she is then the others can get lost and find a life of their own. It's really not any of their business who I choose to spend my time with,'

'Hayden-'

'And, considering you're friends with her yourself I would've thought you would feel the same. You warn me away from her and yet you seem unconcerned for yourself,'

Her eyes flash with annoyance when I cut her off but she continues anyway.

'Because I don't spend all of my time with her,'

She looks proud at her response but it makes me uneasy. I lean back against the wall and she does the same.

'Why are we even arguing about her. This is what others mean, Hayds-'