Chapter 3 - Rayna

'Rayna?' I hear soft sobbing as he makes his way over to my bed, feet patting against the floor as he does so, 'Pluie?' He whispers again and I sit up to squint at him standing by my side.

'What's up?' I face him now, taking a hold of one of his hands and cuddling him. His face is a little moist, he's been crying.

'I can't sleep,'

I nod.

'Neither can I,'

His eyes light up as if this is a great revelation and he gives me the most solemn expression a six year old can master.

'Can I stay with you?'

'Have you tried going to mum first?'

'Yes. She told me she was tired and I had to stop being silly,'

I sigh in frustration for the lack of effort on my mum's behalf and pull Evander a little closer so I can see him better. He's young, I would've liked to think she appreciated that fact.

'In no way are you silly, I promise,'

'But-'

'Nope. No buts,'

He tries to hold back a smile but fails, bursting into a fit of quiet giggles.

'What's so funny?' I press and he bites back his grin.

'You said butt,'

'Oh my god,' I push him playfully but laugh along myself with the kid who seems to be the only one who truly sees how different we are then how we are perceived. He leans into me as his chuckles die down and closes his eyes, trying to pretend he was asleep just in case I'm considering in throwing him out. He snorts in an attempt at sounding realistic and I pull a face, not wanting him to wipe his snotty nose on my quilt. I pull him up properly onto the bed and tap his forehead with my hand, ensuring my bed covers are as far away from his face as possible.

'So can I stay then?' He questions again.

'You already know you can just as long as you don't kick and you keep quiet,'

'I promise I won't,'

'Good,'

The two of us drift in and out of consciousness, dreaming before being yanked back into reality temporarily. By the time I am truly awake, I also feel completely exhausted from the difficult night involving lots of tossing and turning.

Evander waits in silence for a little while but I know he's still awake, staring at the ceiling in wonder where pictures from my friends in America are attached. He has a fascination with those pictures, not remembering much of his life in America since he had been younger when we lived there but still finding them sentimental himself.

I feel utter sadness in knowing he has to grow up with a highly isolated family, one whom don't see one another other then when we pass on the stairs. I hope that by being with him as much as possible, it won't affect him as much but already I can see the hurt when my mum rejects him and the loneliness he gets when I'm not around. I hate it when Evander becomes upset, it's the most heart breaking thing since he's normally so lively and happy.

'Pluie?'

'Uh huh,'

'Will you be back tonight to have our film night?'

I smile. Every Friday I make sure to treat Evander to a film night, influencing him to behave.

'Of course, you know I will be,'

'Thank you,'

I notice him crawl from the bed and I do the same, pulling myself up and knowing I wouldn't be able to sleep anytime soon. I pull on the first clothes I can see in my drawers before handing Evander his own so he could change. Whilst doing this I make him a quick bowl of cereal and throw his school stuff into his bag where it was scattered throughout the house. Our mornings are routine, following the same patterns as we do every other day. Mum is vacant which was expected since she always works late and sleeps in the next day so I write her a quick note to say I was leaving and to remind her to take Evander to school. If she doesn't do it then I know Kyle, her boyfriend, will.