Chapter Two - 'Blood On The Sand'

Bắt đầu từ đầu

With that, the meeting was over and the six Cabin Leaders moved back to their respective groups to begin making their shelters for the night.

While the meeting had taken place, Donald and Peter had discussed what happened.

“I only woke up on the beach half an hour ago. What happened, mate?” Peter asked

“I’ve no idea. I think we got hit hard by one of them waves and toppled over. I remember trying to stay afloat, and that’s it. Next thing I know I’m waking up on a beach and up to my arse in sand”

“Aye, that’s exactly my story. We’re all accounted for except Richard. Where should we look?”

As they passed through some dangerously hung vines, Duncan entered the conversation. “Everyone’s saying they saw people all along the beach up ahead. Richard could easily be passed out on the sand”

Donald and Peter nodded in agreement, and they continued walking towards the beach.

“If you don’t mind my asking” Duncan said, breaking the silence, “why are we looking for Richard, and not Captain Ryan?”

Donald and Peter looked at each other gravely, each trying to make the other deliver the news.

“Eh?” Duncan pushed

Peter gave in. “I’m sorry, Duncan, but the Captain’s dead”

Duncan was silent for a few seconds, as he absorbed the news.

“But, but how?”

Donald explained this. “He refused to leave the Reliant. He was up on deck, steering the ship when the last rowboat left. We tried, Duncan. Believe me, we tried”

Duncan was visibly worried now.

“But with Captain Ryan gone, does that mean Richard will lead us?”

“That’s Captain Rose, now”

“Argh, this is terrible. Just terrible”

“How so?” Peter asked, interested

“Richard-” Donald and Peter glared at him, “-I mean Captain Rose ain’t fit to lead, not in a position like this. We need Captain Ryan. We ain’t gonna survive without Captain Ryan”

“We’ll do just fine under Captain Rose, you hear me?” Donald stated passionately. “That man’s got his head screwed on right, not like Hamish Ryan. Crazy bugger, if you ask me”

“Good think no one asked you then” Duncan said defiantly.

Donald grabbed him and threw him into a tree, holding him by the neck.

“What was that, smartarse? You want to say it again?”

Duncan tried to speak, but Donald’s grip was too tight.

“Jesus, Donald. You’ll kill him!” Peter yelled, grabbing Donald to stop him.

Donald turned and brought his backhand down hard across Peter’s face, sending Peter to the ground with a cry of pain.

“So what if I kill him? Who’s gonna stop me? We’re in a land without civilisation or government. Ain’t no laws that say I can’t”

“This land belongs to the British Empire!” Peter exclaimed. “This is Australia!”

The colour ran from Donald’s face as he let go of Duncan.

“A-Australia? How do you know?”

As Duncan gasped desperately for air, Peter tried to explain.

“Where the hell else could we be? We’ve been sailing for 8 months, and that’s how long they said it would take. We was told there ain’t no islands out here, so it’s got to be Australia, and Australia belongs to the British Empire. You’re damn lucky you didn’t kill that man. What the hell got into you?”