Chapter 18

---Sofia's POV---

The hours passed slower than I wanted them to. Like they said, Victoria slept. Victoria had one room, I had one room, their Grandmother got the last one and Jayden took the couch to keep guard. Yes, we were safer here than that the house, but no doubt Bentley was tracing our scents. Jayden said he wouldn't find us here, but there was always a chance.
Right now, everyone was asleep and I was wide away wondering about Damien. After, what felt like hours of tossing and turning, I went out into the kitchen and started to quietly make myself coffee. When I was done making it, I stood at the kitchen sink looking out the window and the moon that was high in the sky. It sent an eerie glow around the moon and onto the trees below.
"Sofia, what are you doing?" Jayden asked. I turned around and he was standing at the end of the small island shirtless.
"Can't sleep," I said. He nodded, I guess agreeing.
"Caffeine won't help that," he said. Truthfully, I didn't care. I couldn't sleep without Damien and it was killing me that he hadn't contacted us in one way or another. 
"Come on," he said. I followed him over to the couch and we sat in silence. 
"Tell me about your childhood," He said. Mom. It stung, but not as badly as before. 
"Mom would wake me up for school when I was little and she would make me a breakfast every morning. It lasted up until she passed. But even after, I'd wake up a little earlier, depending on what home I was in, and I'd make her homemade chocolate chip pancakes. They were always so good," I said smiling at my coffee cup. It felt good talking about her. 
"What was your childhood like?" I asked him, turning the tables. 
"It was like any other childhood. Kayden and I had Damien to look up to as we were growing up. Our parents were always loving, Mom more than Dad. But Dad was also running the biggest wolf pack and the strongest," He told me. We talked for what seemed like hours. My eyes started to fade closed and the cup left my hand as a blanket covered me up.

"She was up most of the night. I think she finally fell asleep around 5 or 6 this morning," I heard Jayden said. His voice seemed so far away, but my body was still sound asleep. 
"I don't want to wake her," Damien said. Damien! My mind was wide away, but I just laid there. 
"She needs to know you're here," Jayden said. A hand gently touched my arm and I moved slightly closer to it. 
"Sofia," Damien said. My heavy eyelids opened slowly to see him sitting on the floor. I threw my arms around his neck and he pulled me off of the couch to sit in his lap. 
"What are you doing here?" I asked suddenly wide away with the strong arms around me. 
"I had to come see you," he said brushing hair out of my face. 
"Is the vote over?" I asked him. He shook his head. 
"It's tomorrow morning at 11," He told me. Which meant he had to leave again. A door opened and his Grandmother came out of the room. 
"Oh, Damien!" She said rushing over. 
"Hi, Grandma," he said laughing slightly. 
"Is the vote over?! Jayden filled me in when they got here," She asked sitting on the couch in front of us where I was just sleeping. Damien got himself and myself up and sat us on the couch. I curled up in his lap and he held me close. 
"It's tomorrow morning, I just had to come see her," Damien said after kissing my hair. 
"She's a sweetheart," His Grandma said as my eyes started to close. 
"When do you have to go back?" I asked him. I felt him sigh. 
"I can't stay long. If someone notices I'm gone, people are going to start asking questions. They think you ran away from me because of everything that was happening and they think Jayden just went out on his own," Damien said. That made me sit up and look at him. 
"I would never," I told him putting my hands on his face. 
"I know," he said looking into my eyes. His lips gently pressed against my forehead as his arms wrapped around me, pulling me into his chest.
"If they are believing that, what does Bentley believe?" Jayden asked. I didn't want to think of him right now. 
"Bentley is smart. I'm playing along with the 'run away' story, but he things you ran with her to hide her," Damien said. So Bentley knew I was hiding, but he didn't know where. 
"Did he follow you?" Grandma asked him. He shook his head. 
"No, I made sure he was preoccupied for hours," He said. It felt like any moment, Damien would leave and I didn't want him to.