Chapter 2

The first thing I noticed when my mind came alive was the smell. It was cinnamon and honey mixed together in perfect spices. The sheets and blankets kept me warm and the smell filled my senses. My body reacted and wanted more of the smell and the warmth that came from the bed I was lying in. 
Bed? When did I get in a bed? My eyes softly fluttered open to see a white wall. The next thing that my eyes focused on was a night stand with a lamp, an alarm clock and the picture of me and Mom. It was still in perfect condition. 
As I sat up, my head spun. It was fuzzy and clouded. 
Think, Sofia. Think. 
My head hurt, but I had to remember. Walking through the woods...being caught...taking in a house... beaten...then I felt it. With each breath, it felt like someone was stabbing me in the rib cage. Lifting my tank top, my right ribs were bruised under my breast. They were all colors of blue, black and purple. A soft moan left my lips as my head spun. 
The man. What did he say? As much as I tried to remember, I couldn't. 
A light tap on the door startled me. It could be the man who beat me, or the man who found me. They could kill me the instant they found out I was awake. 
But no, instead that man with the perfect body and the blue eyes came in and closed the door. 
My body changed. It became more aware of who was there and my heart started hammering in my chest. Slowly, he came forward and sat at my feet, after I put them somewhat under me. 
If he wanted, he could reach out and touch my face, but he didn't. 
"How you feeling?" He asked. His voice. It was soft and caring, but he was a strong man who could easily snap my neck with a quick twist of his wrists. 
When I went to answer, nothing came out. Was he going to hurt me? 
"That's your mom?" He questioned, pointing to the picture of us on the night stand. How did that get there? 
"Yea," I said so softly I barely heard my own voice. My hand reached out and grabbed it, putting it in my lap so I could look at my Mom and myself. 
"When those guys saw this, they brought me here. Why?" I asked, not looking up. A small gasp left my lips as his finger touched my chin, bringing my eyes to his beautifully blue eyes. 
A tingly feeling started at my chin where his hand was and spread though my body until it reached my toes, making them curl. 
His eyes. They were a pool of deep blue and I got lost in them. I'm not sure, but we sat there for a very long time, staring. Me being me, I broke the gaze and looked back down at my mom. 
"What is your name?" he asked me, softly after he dropped his hand. 
"Sofia," I said softly. For a moment, I looked up to find him staring, so I looked back down. 
"I'm Damien," he said, holding his hand out. Being polite, I took his hand. The hand touch only lasted a moment after I gasped and pulled my hand quickly away. It was like a spark of electricity that spread quickly through my whole body. 
"Why-why does that happen?" I asked, keeping my hands to my chest balled in with one another. My head was still spinning and I had so many questions. 
"Right now, I think it's best if you sleep. Doctor says you have a concussion. He also said you had 3 bruised ribs. You'll get headaches until they fade and it'll hurt to breathe for a while," He told me. 
"Doctor?" I asked him. He stood and took the picture out of my hand and put it beside the bed, back on the night stand just like it was. 
"I had a doctor come check on you. You seemed in pretty bad shape and after you collapsed in the hallway, I though it best you see a professional," He said casually. 
"What happened? Why am I here?" I asked him. He sat back down where he was and looked at me. 
"Why were you in the woods? Your Mother must be very worried," he said to me. Mom. My heart sunk. 
"She's not," I said playing it off as she was still alive, but my voice said a completely different thing. 
"Why?" He asked. His body moved closer to me. I was not about to open up to a complete stranger. Suddenly, sleeping did sound like a good idea. One minute I was awake, the next I was fighting my eyes to stay away, though I didn't know why. 
I heard a soft laugh as I felt two tingly hands lay me down and cover me up. When they left I moaned in protest. Then one was back, brushing a loose strand of hair out of my face. My one hand found the one on my face and pushed it closer to me. A laugh sent chills down my spine. My hand pulled the warm one closer and I felt the bed sink down. After a moment, the hand was back, but it was around my waist, pulling me to the warm body...

---Damien's POV---

There she was. My mate. She was so beautiful and so alone. When I asked about her mother, I knew that look as I had experienced it myself. She was dead. The small frame came closer to me as I held on tight, making my muscles roll. 
Silently, I breathed in her scent. Strawberries and chocolate. 
Yay! She's here! 
My wolf was jumping all around wanting to really meet her. 
She doesn't know about who we are. Patience. 

I felt a pain of sadness as my wolf laid down and took a deep breath. She was really here. My mate, my Luna was safe and in my arms sleeping peacefully. 
She has no idea about her Mother or about who she is. If she did, she would have known the feeling of her mate. She would not have been so afraid when we found her in the woods, or she wouldn't have been hurt like she had been. 
Sofia came from a long line of powerful wolves. She was next in line after her father passed away a while ago. Her Mother swore never to tell Sofia of her future and that she was next in line for the pack. After the transformation never happened when she turned 16, I knew she would never come into this world...but here she is. She does have wolf blood running in her veins, but she never embraced that part of her. She's human, and will be. 
My eyes shot down as the mess of chocolate brown hair moved around in my arms. Patiently, I waited until she was lying on her back to memorize her face. 
Her hair was in a big messy bun that looked like it would be painful to remove. She had long eyelashes and a small nose. Her lips were thin but still plump in their own way. Her skin was tanned perfectly. I watched her perfect chest rise and fall, shaking a little as it was probably hard for her to breathe. The blankets fell down to her waist, so I could see her tiny, thin waist that fell to her hips. 
Once again she started to move around. This time, she turned her whole body to me and shivered slightly. So, I pulled the covers around her and pulled her tight to my chest, but carefully enough not to wake her. Who knows how long she had been out there in the woods all alone, but she would never be alone again. 
Damien. 
Sam mind linked with me, probably something small. 
Yea. 
Police are here. They say they are looking for a run away. They are looking for her.  
My wolf cried as anger shot through me. Carefully, I got out of bed and spared one last look at her before I went downstairs. 
"I assure you," Sam started but when I arrived, the police had their attention to me. 
"Have you seen a girl named Sofia. This is a picture of her," A police officer asked. Sure enough, it was my mate, my Luna, my sleeping baby doll. 
"I'm sorry sir, but I would remember if a girl like that came around this part of the woods. If I hear anything, I'll be sure to let you know as soon as possible," I told him, handing the picture back. I had to do anything to protect her, even lie to the authority. 
"Thank you. We will be watching around just to see if she shows up soon. She's probably hungry, so any sight of life, she'll be running for," The officer said. After a quick goodbye, he and his team left my house. 
"Well then," Sam said. After a few deep breaths, my mind focused. 
I could hear her soft but uneven breathing and I knew she was still sleeping soundly. 
"Have the cooks make a little bit of everything and have them keep it warm until she wakes. I need to go attend to some business," I told Sam. He nodded and went off as I did my own way. 

---Sofia's POV---

I woke in a daze, remembering something about being close to warm body. It was masculine and smelled so handsome. Then I remember before, talking about my Mom and talking to...Damien. 
My insides moved around into themselves. Damien. Why did that name have such and effect on me and why is it that when we touch, sparks fly and electricity fills my body? All I want to do is hold him so he can keep me warm. 
But he's a stranger. I don't know who he is or what he wants done with me. Why was I here?
Just then someone came in. My heart raced only to find out it wasn't Damien. Why did I care? 
A maid brought in 3 trays of food and let them on the bed. There was a little bit of everything here. Chicken, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, broccoli, and so much more. A cup of water caught my eye and I downed it in just a few short moments. Food. 
I ate the chicken, potatoes, mac, and some stuffing. Then after, I had some strawberries, blueberries, watermelon and grapes. There were some scrambled eggs and toast so I ate those up. By the time I was done eating, I had eaten about half of the food there and was ready to fall back asleep.
The whole time I ate, I concentrated on the food, not where I was or about Damien...