Chapter 10

The light was blinding and I couldn't see where I was going. But, I did know one thing. That man helped me and I wasn't going to let it go to waste. After I got myself off of the ground, I ran as fast as I could to the door where the light came from. I know people say don't go to the light, but this light was going to help me. This light was freedom. 
My legs only took me so far before I wanted to fall and never get up. But, I knew I couldn't. My legs carried me farther and farther away from that horrid place. I didn't look back and I didn't plan to ever. It felt like hours that I had been running, but I knew it had only been minutes. Suddenly, everything went black and I fell to the ground... 

When I woke up, I was on a white cot. A blanket was over me and a glass of water was beside me. I drank the water, then poured myself another cup and downed that in an instant. The water was cool and it was pure water. 
"Hello," Someone said. My body jumped and I dropped the glass letting it shatter on the ground. A woman with short red hair stood before me. She was in a white dress with a tray of food. 
"I didn't mean to startle you," She said setting the tray on the end of the bed.
"Where am I?" I asked softly as I looked around. Beds like mine were all over the room. Some had a cloth covering over them to give privacy to those inside the beds. Cream colored walls made the room seem dull. 
"You're in Maslow," She said. Maslow? 
"I've never heard of it," I told her as I sat down on the cot. If she was going to hurt me, she would have. And anyway, my body ached beyond comparison. 
"How did I get here?" I asked her. I needed answers and I needed Damien. 
"One of the men found you in the woods," She said, looking up at me. I remember running and the blackness, but that's all I remembered. 
"May I use your phone?" I asked. I had to get a hold of Damien. She nodded rushing off with the broken glass. While she was gone, I took a few bites of food but my stomach almost rejected it. 
"Here," She said handing over a tiny flip phone. After she nodded slightly, she left. 
Just then I realized I didn't know Damien's number. The woman came back in with a smile. 
"Could you please find out what Damien's number is?" I asked the woman. Her faced turned from relaxed to scared and worried. 
"Sweetheart, why would you want his number?" She asked, sitting beside me on the bed. 
"I just need to call him," I said. She nodded, taking the phone and rushing off. 
"Wait, don't tell anyone," I told her. I had to take precautions for now. These people were strangers. It seemed like hours when she came back with the phone and piece of paper. She rushed out as I dialed the number. No answer. I dialed it again and no answer. I tried about 10 times before someone picked up. 
"What!?" Damien growled. Damien. He seemed pissed and it scared me. But, I knew why he was so mad. I was gone and he probably thought I was dead. 
"Who the hell is this!?" he growled. It took me a minute, but I found my words. 
"Damien," I said softly. I heard him suck in his breath, even over the phone. 
"Sofia?" He asked. Tears filled my eyes as I started to cry. 
"Damien. Come get me," I cried softly. He was fumbling with something before he spoke again. 
"Where are you?" He asked. His voice was urgent. 
"The woman said Maslow," I told him as I wiped my tears.
"I'm on my way," He said. 
"Damien!" I said. My heart lurched and I didn't want him to hang up. I needed to hear his voice. 
"I'm on my way. I'll be there in an hour, I promise," He said reassuring me. 
"I love you," I told him. It was the first time either of us had said that and I wasn't afraid to.
"I love you too," he said. The line ended and it wasn't long before the woman came back in. 
"Please inform whoever it is that Damien is coming to get me," I told her. Her eyes widened and she backed away from me with the phone in her hand. 
"Why did you tell him to come here?" She asked. She seemed truly frightened. 
"Take me outside to wait. That way, he won't have to come in," I told her. She didn't hesitate to take me outside and set me on a rock far from the house. 

Every sound made me jump and every car passing out on the main street made me think Damien was right there. A soft whimper left my lips as my body started to sting and ache even worse. So, I laid down beside the rock and let my body rest...
Foot steps came closer and I could hear voices. Those men found me...of course they did. A hand touched me and I jerked back and let out a small cry. 
"Shh, Sofia. It's Damien," He said. My eyes shot to him and tears flowed. I threw my arms around Damien. Bad idea. The whip marks on my back must have scabbed over, because when I moved to hug him, I felt skin tear. 
"What the?" He asked. He went behind me and saw the marks. He growled, but my cries stopped him. He carefully picked me up and got me to the passenger side of the car. He jumped into the driver and sped away quickly. 
"Shh, we'll be there soon," he said holding my hand to his. Just like he said, we were there. He was pulling me from the car as I heard the twins, his parents and Dad all yell for me. They surrounded us, but I put my head in Damien's chest. 
"I've got you," he said softly in my ear and he kissed my head. Once he got me to the infirmary, he let doc start inspecting my body for more bruises and scars. 
"27 cut marks, 13 stabs, and numerous whip marks on her back and stomach," Doc said. 
"Just fix her," Damien said. Doc pulled out a needle and I cringed back. Damien got up in the bed with me and pulled me back to him. 
"I've got you," he said softly as Doc put the needle in my arm. After a minute, everything went numb. 
"She's going to fall asleep. It'll give me time to work on her," Doc said as I faded away... 

---Damien's POV---

She was here. She was here but she was hurting. I could see it in her face even when she was sleeping. Her eyebrows were slightly pushed together and she just looked sad. I didn't know how she got out or how she got my phone number, but I was glad she did. She might be hurting, but I had her back.
Ace whimpered and I wanted to as well. Her back was bandaged up and so was her mid section. On her back, it was just across her shoulder blades, but the bandage on her stomach wrapped all around to her back. Her arms had small bandages on them just like her legs. A few places Doc had to wrap a bandage around due to how deep the knife went.Bruises covered her face and shoulders along with her chest. 
She must have suffered being in there. This wasn't going to go unpunished, not by any means. But, right now, I had to help her get better. She was my main focus. 

---Sofia's POV---

My body aced tremendously and it almost hurt to breathe. A soft moan escaped my lips. 
"Sofia?" Damien asked softly. My head turned to him and I saw him sitting on the edge of his seat ready to jump at a single word. 
"Damien," I said softly. He knelt down on the bed and put his hand gently on mine. 
"Hey," He said with a soft smile as my eyes faded closed. 
"Are we back home?" I asked softly. That's where I wanted to be. I wanted to be wrapped up in his blankets beside him. 
"No, we are in the infirmary in another building, but home is just a little ways away," he said softly as he brushed his hand over my hair. A little ways away was not good enough. 
"I want to be home," I said so softly I barely heard myself talk. 
"Doc needs you here, sweetheart. He wants to keep a close eye on you," Damien spoke. His head was right beside mine. 
"Is she awake?" Someone asked. My eyes barely opened to get a glimpse of a man wearing a white lab coat with a clip board in his hand. 
"She is, but she seems really out of it," Damien said to the man. 
"Understandable. She'e been through hell and back," Doc said to him. That was an understatement. My mind flashed back to memories...nightmares that were reality...and I wanted them to stop. The cold cell... the hard chair... the evil glares I could see on the man's face as the door opened and shone in light... the warm, dirty water I had to drink... the small portions of food that would barley keep me alive... and the want of Damien. Where they still alive? 
"Damien," I said. My eyes opened just barley to see him jump and lean over me. 
"What is it?" He asked me urgently. My hand searched for his, and when we touched, I felt calmer. 
"Don't leave me," I whispered. Damien lightly chuckled. He promised he wouldn't as I fell asleep... 

When I woke up, I heard voices around me. 
"How is she?" A man asked, I'm guessing to Damien. 
"She woke up yesterday, but shes out of it," Damien said. His hand was 'petting' my hair gently and it felt relaxing. 
"We are so sorry," One said. The twins were here. Damien fell silent. A door opened and someone else came in to join the small party around me. 
"How is she?" Dad asked. That voice I could pick out. 
"Dad?" I asked softly. I felt a hand on mine. My eyes fluttered open to find Dad beside Damien. 
"I'm here, baby girl," he said. The door opened again and I saw Doc coming in. My mind was more away and I looked over to see the twins on the other side of the bed. Doc came and stood at the end. 
"Can I sit up?" I asked. Doc nodded and Damien helped me sit up. My body was stiff and sore. 
"How are you feeling?" Doc asked. I hurt. My body hurt and I was tired. 
"Fine," I said. Damien sighed. 
"Don't lie," Damien said. Doc pushed everyone out but Damien. Doc stood at the end of the bed waiting for a truthful answer. 
"My body hurts and I'm tired," I said. He wrote something down on his clip board and walked out. 
"Damien, did you kill the man?" I asked him.