"Why don't you just set him free, Hagrid?" Harry asked.

Hagrid sighed. "They'd know it was me. Dumbledore'd get into trouble. Comin' down, yeh know, Dumbledore. Says he wants to be with me, when it...when it happens. Great man, Dumbledore. Great man."

"We'll stay with you too, Hagrid," I insisted.

"You'll do no such thing!" Hagrid refused, "Think I want yeh seein' something like that? No. Just drink yer tea and be off. Oh, before yeh do, Ron..." He crossed over to a table and opened a tin box, pulling out -- to our surprise -- Scabbers.

"Scabbers, you're alive!" Ron exclaimed, taking the rat into his arms.

"Keep a closer eye on your pets, Ron," Hagrid scolded him.

"That means you owe somebody an apology," Hermione snapped, standing up.

I crossed my arms, glaring daggers at him. "Actually, you owe two somebodies an apology." I held up two fingers.

Ron nodded. "Right. Next time I see Cricket and Crookshanks, I'll let them know."

"I meant us!" Hermione snapped. Suddenly, a vase near me shattered in half, making us all jump.

"Blimey, what was that?" Hagrid asked.

"Ow!" Harry suddenly exclaimed, rubbing the back of his head. Either he bumped his head on something or someone from outside threw a rock at him. It could have been Malfoy, but I decided against it. Malfoy may be a bully, but he wouldn't try something as basic as throwing rocks.

I glanced out the window and almost jumped. Dumbledore, Fudge, and the executioner were heading for the hut. "Hagrid..."

Hagrid came over to the window and looked. He started to get nervous. "Oh, boy..." he muttered. "It's late. Nearly dark. You shouldn't be here. Someone sees yeh outside the castle at this hour, you'll be in trouble. Big trouble. particularly you, Harry. You too, Cass," he warned us.

Someone pounded on the door.

"I'll be there in a moment," Hagrid called out. We all hurried to the back door, but Harry and I turned back to face him.

"Hagrid, It'll be fine," Harry assured him.

"It'll be okay," I added.

All four of us snuck out the back door and hid behind some giant pumpkins in the pumpkin patch, watching the discussion going on inside the hut. It was interrupted when Hermione turned around to face the trees behind us, making us all snap our heads in that direction.

"What happened?" I asked, looking back at Hermione.

"I thought I just saw...never mind," she replied, shaking her head.

"Let's go," Ron said. We ran back up the hill, but stopped halfway to watch the execution. I know Hagrid said we shouldn't be seeing it, but I didn't care. The executioner made his way over to Buckbeak and raised the axe above his head, before letting it drop. I felt a pain in my heart as he did. Buckbeak was so nice. He didn't deserve this. I buried my face in Harry's chest, beginning to cry, and I could hear Hermione shedding a few tears as well.

"He bit me! Scabbers!" Ron suddenly exclaimed. We all looked in his direction, only to see him running away from us.

"Ron? Ron!" Hermione almost yelled.

"Scabbers, come back!" Ron pleaded. He tripped and fell over near the Whomping Willow and picked up Scabbers. Oh, no. I didn't want to think about what that tree would do to him, especially after what happened last year with Mr. Weasley's Ford Anglia.