Getting Sorted & the Start-Of-Term feast

Cassia's POV

Most of the other first-years around me were chattering excitedly as we climbed up three flights of stairs, into a chamber between the Great Hall and the entrance to the school. Considering how tightly Harry was squeezing my hand, I could tell he was beyond nervous. Not that I didn't feel the same way. I'd only ever been to Hogwarts once before, on the day of Dora's graduation ceremony. So of course I was nervous!

A tall, black-haired witch in emerald green robes was waiting for us at the top of the stairwell. This was Professor McGonagall, the Transfigurations teacher and head of Gryffindor house. Dora had told me all about her. Professor McGonagall was very strict, so getting on her bad side was pretty much the last thing you wanted to do.

"Welcome to Hogwarts. Now, in a few moments, you will pass through these doors --" Professor McGonagall quickly nodded towards the doors behind her "-- and join your classmates, but before you can take your seats, you must be sorted into your houses. They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Eachhouse has its own noble history, and each has produced outstanding witches andwizards. While you are here, your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you points; any rule-breaking and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup."

"Trevor!" Neville exclaimed. He rushed forward and scooped Trevor into his arms; the toad had somehow managed to escape him before we'd entered the castle and had been sitting near Professor McGonagall. Neville looked up at Professor McGonagall, and, trembling under her cold stare, muttered an apology and hurried back in line, near Hermione.

"The Sorting Ceremony will begin momentarily," Professor McGonagall concluded. She left the chamber.

"It's true, then," one of the boys spoke up, "what they're saying on the train. Harry and Cassia Potter have come to Hogwarts." This statement caused whispers among the rest of the first-year students, which made me a bit uncomfortable.

The boy who had just singled us out stepped forward. He was a hair taller than us, with pale skin and slicked-back hair so blonde it was nearly white. "This is Crabbe, Goyle." He nodded to two slightly chubby boys standing on either side of him. "And I'm Malfoy," he added, taking a step forward. "Draco Malfoy." I already didn't like him. He seemed like a snob.

Ron let out a cough that may have been hiding a snicker, and Malfoy rounded on him. "Think my name's funny, do you? I've no need to ask for yours. Red hair, and a hand-me-down robe? You must be a Weasley," he snapped. And apparently, my assumption about him was correct. He made eye contact with Harry and I again. "You'll soon find out that some wizarding families are better than others. You don't want to be making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there," he said, holding out his right hand for us to shake.

"I think I can tell the wrong sort for myself, thanks," Harry replied.

Malfoy turned to me. "And what about you, female Potter?"

"After you just picked on Ron?" I questioned. "Not a chance."

Malfoy opened his mouth, ready to insult us just like he had done to Ron, but before he could even get a single syllable out, Professor McGonagall appeared behind him and tapped him on the shoulder with a scroll of parchment she'd been holding. Malfoy shut his mouth quickly as he looked up at her.

"We're ready for you, now," Professor McGonagall said. "Follow me." The double doors in front of us opened, and she led us into the Great Hall.

Harry's POV

I had never even imagined such a strange and splendid place. It was lit by thousands and thousands of candles that were floating in midair over four long tables, where the rest of the students were sitting. These tables were laid with glittering golden plates and goblets. At the top of the hall was another long table where the teachers were sitting.