"That's impossible..."

Cassia's POV

Today was Sunday, which meant we didn't have classes. We decided to go see Hagrid and talk to him. He'd had his hearing for Buckbeak with the Disposal of Magical Creatures today, and we all wanted to know what the verdict had been. I was crossing my fingers that it'd gone well, but considering that Lucius Malfoy was there, I knew it was probably gonna be bad. He probably twisted the story so that Hagrid could get in trouble.

"Beautiful day" Hermione noted as we walked through the courtyard.

"Sure," Ron replied, "unless, of course, you've been ripped to pieces."

"Ripped to pieces?" Harry and I echoed. What the bloody hell was he on about?

Hermione sighed in annoyance. "Ronald has lost his rat."

"I haven't lost anything. Your cat killed him!" Ron snapped at Hermione.

"Rubbish," Hermione said, rolling her eyes at him.

I scoffed. "Oh, sure, put the blame one of your best friends, who just so happens to own a cat."

Ron looked at my brother. "Harry, you've seen the way those bloodthirsty beasts of theirs are always lurking about. Scabbers is gone!"

"Well, maybe you should learn to take better care of your pets!" Hermione snapped.

"Your cat killed him! And he probably gave Cricket the tail for dessert!" Ron insisted.

"Own up, Ron! You're the one who's always losing Scabbers, so don't go playing the blame game," I argued, "And for the record, Cricket hasn't gone near Scabbers since that day in the Leaky Cauldron."

Ron rolled his eyes. "Well, how do you explain the blood on my sheets? And the cat hairs?"

"How many times do I have to tell you, those cat hairs could've been there since the start of term! You guys never clean up your dorm!" Hermione scolded him. She was definitely fed up with him pointing fingers at our felines. That makes two of us.

"Just admit it, your cats killed him!" Ron pestered us.

"Did not," Hermione and I said in sync.

"Did."

"Didn't."

The argument went on and on. Ron just wouldn't own up to losing Scabbers.

<><><><><>

We found Hagrid by the Black Lake. He was up to his mid-calves in the water, skipping rocks.

"How did it go, Hagrid? The hearing?" Hermione asked.

"Well, first off, the committee members took turns saying why we were there," Hagrid replied, "And I got up, did my piece, said Buckbeak was a good Hippogriff, always cleaned his feathers."

"And then what happened?" I asked.

Hagrid huffed. "An' then, Lucius Malfoy got up, an' you can imagine, he said that Buckbeak was a 'deadly, dangerous creature who'd kill yeh as soon as look at yeh.'"

"And then?" Hermione questioned.

"Then he asked to the worst, did ol' Lucius," Hagrid answered, skipping another rock.

"They're not sacking you..." Ron assumed, shaking his head.

Hagrid shook his head. "No, I'm not sacked." I mentally sighed in relief at that. He skipped another stone, sniffling a bit. "Buckbeak's been sentenced to death!" he told us. He threw another rock, which landed in the water with a loud splash.