Harry & I free Dobby

Start from the beginning

"When the governors learned that Arthur Weasley's daughter was taken into the chamber, they saw fit to summon me back," Dumbledore explained.

"Ridiculous," Lucius muttered.

"Curiously, several of them were under the impression that you would curse their families if they did not agree to suspend me in the first place," Dumbledore added.

"How dare you! My sole concern has always been and will always be for the welfare of this school, and of course, its students." I thought he was going to lose it, but to my surprise, he calmed down fairly quickly. "The culprit has been identified, I presume?"

"Yes," Dumbledore replied.

"And? Who was it?" Lucius asked.

"Voldemort," Dumbledore answered, "Only, this time, he chose to act through somebody else, by means of this. And I hope no more of Lord Voldemort's things should fall into innocent hands."

"Well, let us hope that the Potter twins will always be around to save the day," Lucius remarked, glaring daggers at us.

"Don't worry," Harry assured.

"We will be," I jumped in.

"Come, Dobby. We're leaving," Lucius snapped. He swung his cane, sending the poor house elf flying to the ground. As soon as Dobby got up, he was hit in the back with Lucius' cane, and the two of them left.

I felt really bad for Dobby. With such a cruel master, he seemed more like a prisoner than a servant. Yes, Harry and I didn't like how he tried to "protect" us, but at the same time, I hated seeing him suffer like that. We have to do something. I looked over at Harry, and I saw he seemed to be thinking the same thing.

He placed the sword on Dumbledore's desk. "Sir, I wonder if we could have that?" he asked, pointing at the diary. At that moment, I could see the wheels turning. He had an idea.

Dumbledore just nodded, and we left his office with Riddle's diary in hand. Harry quickly took off a shoe and removed one of his socks. He handed it to me, and I placed it into the diary. Then I helped him put his shoe back on, and we sprinted to catch up to Lucius.

"Mr. Malfoy! Mr. Malfoy!" Harry called, gaining both his attention and Dobby's.

"We have something of yours," I said.

"Mine? I don't know what you're talking about," Lucius declared.

"Oh, we think you do, sir. My brother and I think you slipped this into Ginny Weasley's cauldron, that day in Diagon Alley," I retorted, holding up the diary.

"You do, do you?" he asked, shoving the diary at Dobby before leaning close to Harry and I. "Why don't you prove it?" he hissed.

The two of us didn't say a word in reply. All we did was just give him the nastiest glare either of us could muster.

Lucius stood straight up. "Come, Dobby," he ordered. He turned on his heel and began to walk away.

Dobby glanced at the diary, and then at us. His tennis ball-sized eyes were full of curiosity.

"Open it," I urged.

He cautiously opened the diary, and when he saw the sock, I saw he had mixed reactions. Surprise and joy.

"Dobby," Lucius called out, turning back towards us.

"Master has given Dobby a sock," said the elf in wonderment.

"What? I didn't g--" Lucius started to protest, before Dobby cut him off.

The house elf looked at Lucius with a jovial expression. "Master has presented Dobby with clothes! Dobby is free!" he cried, making Lucius look over at us. Harry grinned and rolled up his left trouser leg, revealing a bare ankle underneath his shoe. I folded my arms and smirked.