Operation: Save the Stone!

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, we're fine," I answered. Ron was still screaming his head off.

"He's not relaxing, is he?" asked Hermione.

"Apparently not," said Harry.

"At the risk of stating the obvious, no," I added.

"We've got to do something!" Hermione exclaimed, getting nervous.

"Like what?" I asked.

"I remember reading something in Herbology. Um...'Devil's Snare, Devil's Snare, it's deadly fun...but will sulk in the sun'! That's it! Devil's Snare hates sunlight!" Hermione exclaimed, remembering what she'd read. She whipped out her wand. "Lumos Solem!"

A blindingly bright light shone from the tip of her wand, and the snare sulked. Before we knew it, Ron was dropped right in front of us.

"Phew," he sighed in relief, "Lucky we didn't panic." Says the boy who was screaming like a little girl up there.

"Lucky Hermione pays attention in Herbology," Harry corrected him.

I nodded. Then I heard what sounded like a cross between a wind chime and a buzzing noise. it was coming from the door in front of us.

"What's that?" Hermione asked, turning her head towards the door.

"I dunno. Sounds like wings," Harry replied.

We made our way over to the door, and tried the knob. It opened easily, leading us into another room. Above us were thousands of flying creatures no bigger than my hand. A broomstick hovered in the center of the room, and I could see another locked door on the other side.

"Strange...I've never seen birds like these," Hermione observed.

"They're not birds. They're keys. And I bet one of them fits that door," Harry corrected. He slowly made his way over to the broomstick. The flying keys took no notice of him, continuing to fly above us. Ron and Hermione went over to the locked door and tried the knob. Nothing happened, even when Ron tried the Alohomora Charm.

Hermione groaned. "Ugh! What are we going to do?" she asked, "There must be a thousand keys up there!"

"We're looking for a big, old-fashioned one. Probably rusty, like the handle," Ron said

I saw one of the keys was having trouble flying. It had bright blue wings, one of which was crumpled slightly. "There! I see it! The one with the broken wing!" I said, pointing.

The others glanced up at the key and saw my prediction was correct. Harry looked disappointed at the broomstick.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"It's too simple," Harry answered.

"Oh, go on, Harry! If Snape can catch it on that old broomstick, you can! You're the youngest Seeker in a century!" Ron encouraged.

Harry nodded and reached out a hand, grabbing the broomstick. The minute he did, though, the keys swooped down and started attacking him.

"This complicates things a bit," Ron said, wincing.

I watched as Harry flew after the key, the other keys still attacking him. He shot straight up, trying to get away from the other keys, but to no avail. They continued to pursue him as he chased the one with the broken wing.

"Catch the key!" Harry shouted as he swooped down.

I jumped up and grabbed it, tossing it to Hermione. She caught it with two hands and hurried to unlock the door.