Prologue|Heathens

A/N// hi! TW//This is a quick introduction/Explanation of the Alternate universe and of what some terms mean. I don't suggest skipping it (you can if you want) but you'll probably be confused in what some things mean.
Also, this book does have some minor trigger warnings in it, this book does have depression in it, aka Blurryface
(If there are specific or any trigger warnings in a chapter I will imply it before the chapter begins)
So enjoy!
-
The United States is split into three sections.
The northeastern side being called the upper region, the middle being called the middle region, and the western Pacific Ocean side being called the lower region.

   This specific town is called the upstate; Located in the upper region. In the upstate, people are meant to be perfect. Meaning, you can't act out.

There are simple rules you must follow to be considered normal. You have three options for hair color; Blonde, brunette, or black. Eye color also has three options; green, blue, or brown. Hazel is an exception. Skin color doesn't matter, but the upstate is very close minded, not many things are open or accepted. Everyone is commanded to wear the same uniform to work or school. The town doesn't accept super bright colors or anything too revealing, but T-shirts and jeans are just fine for normal wear.

  Everyone is supposed to be happy and "normal" ,but there's something called a darkness that follows around the "offstates".

  Offstates; people who are different or rebel against the high rankers.

These darkness'S are basically just physical forms of depression, and only offstates can see them.

-

   Tyler didn't mean to become an offstate.
He tried everything he could to become or stay normal, like everyone else. He stuck with the basic rules; he had brown hair, and brown eyes, what was wrong? Everyone saw him as someone different, which he soon got used to. He had no one because everyone knew he was different. He had no one but his Darkness.

Most offstates had a darkness beside them, reminding them of how much of a fuck up they were, nagging at them.

Tyler tried to fight it, he tried to make it go away by acting normal, but he couldn't and therefore he acknowledged his darkness and gave him a name. Blurryface.

Tyler felt like the only offstate in his school. He didn't see anyone else's darkness or sadness. Hell, he has to deal with being the disappointment to his family. He's the oldest child in their family, and he wasn't doing a very good job at it. He had a younger sister and brother who were normal and fine. he was happy for them, but it put more pressure on himself. Yet he was finally in twelfth grade and leaving soon.Which he was extremely happy about too. Except it wasn't that easy in the upstate.If you were different or an offstate, you had a harder chance of finding places to work or universities.

He was sick of being the failure in the school or the failure in the family. He's been close to giving up, so many times.
Yet something was holding him back.
He knew he had to do something.
-
     "I hate when you do that." Tyler mumbled out, staring down at his dark, wooden floor. The air felt tense around them, wrapping around Tyler and holding onto him tightly.

A raspy, deep voice replied, "Do what?"

Tyler scoffed. "Watch me quietly."

He didn't want to look at the shadowy figure towering over him from behind, he didn't dare to look. He hated his darkness,Blurryface, so much. He wanted to kill him, locking him into an abyss of darkness never to see him again.

The silence went on for a few more minutes before Tyler stood up and walked out of the room. He could hear the voice still in his head, but it wasn't as painful as the actual feeling of someone next to you. The house was silent today. No sound to be heard. He didn't always enjoy the silence actually, it wasn't always something he looked forward to.

"You can't escape me." And suddenly the figure was latched on beside him again, haunting him. The voice was just as haunting. It ran chills down Tylers spine.

He stared down at the floor. "I will someday." The atmosphere felt tight, like he couldn't breathe. He felt his own Demons choking him at his throat, shaking him and screaming at him. He knew he couldn't escape, everything he tried and did, he couldn't. But he promised himself he would, he will find a way to stop this, he will save himself and the others who have to deal with this, he will.