Getting Sorted & the Start-Of-Term feast

Começar do início

Cassia's POV

When "Longbottom, Neville," the boy who kept losing his toad, was called, he fell over on his way to the stool. The hat took a long time to decide with Neville. When it finally shouted "GRYFFINDOR," Neville ran off still wearing it, and had to jog back amid gales of laughter to give it to "MacDougal, Morag."

Malfoy swaggered forward when his name was called and got his wish at once: the hat barely touched his head when it screamed, "SLYTHERIN!"

Malfoy went to join his friends Crabbe and Goyle, looking pleased with himself.

"There's not a witch or wizard who went bad who wasn't in Slytherin," Ron whispered to Harry and I.

"Okay, to be fair, Merlin was in Slytherin," I countered.

Ron flushed a light shade of red. "Oh -- right," he spoke. "My bad."

I glanced around, feeling someone else's eyes on me. When I saw it wasn't Harry or Malfoy or any of the other first-years, I looked up at the staff table. The culprit sat next to Quirrell. It was a man dressed all in black, with a hooked nose, greasy black hair, and dark, cold brown eyes. When our eyes met, he blinked in surprise. I could have sworn I saw him mouthing something to himself, a single word, but I had no idea what it was. I put a hand to my forehead, feeling a slight stinging sensation where my scar was. Harry must've felt it too, because I heard him hiss in pain. Sure enough, when I looked at him, he was holding a hand to his forehead, just like me.

"Harry, Cass, what is it?" Ron asked, looking concerned.

"N-Nothing," Harry stuttered, lowering his hand.

I shook my head slightly. "Nothing, we're fine."

There weren't many people left now. "Moon" "Nott" "Parkinson" then a pair of twin girls, "Patil" and "Patil" then "Perks, Sally-Anne" and then, at last --

"Potter, Cassia!"

Oh, Merlin. It's my turn now. I trembled all over as I walked up to the stool and sat down. Professor McGonagall gently placed the Sorting Hat onto my head. For a few moments, there was silence. Then --

"Let's see," the hat said. "A brilliant mind -- clever, witty -- just like your mother. Ravenclaw would suit you well. But wait, there's more -- talent and ambition, but not quite cunning enough to be a Slytherin. Hmm...you have such spirit, a zest for life...and what a kind and nurturing soul, always putting others before yourself -- with that undying loyalty, you would make quite the Hufflepuff. I also see that you have an abundance of self-confidence. You may not think so, but it shows, in more ways than one. Yes, I believe you'll fit quite nicely in...GRYFFINDOR!"

Out of all the people clapping and cheering, Harry was definitely the loudest. I flashed him a big smile and a thumbs up as I ran off to join Lavender, Neville, Seamus, and Hermione at the Gryffindor table.

Harry's POV

I cheered as loud as I possibly could when the hat announced Cassia as the newest Gryffindor. Cassia flashed me a big smile and gave me a thumbs up as she went to grab a place at the Gryffindor table.

"Potter, Harry!"

My feeling of joy disappeared, replaced by terrible anxiety as Professor McGonagall called my name. Whispers broke out again as I walked up and took a seat on the stool. Professor McGonagall placed the hat onto my head.

"Hmm," said a small voice in my ear. "Difficult. Very difficult. Plenty of courage, I see. Not a bad mind, either. There's talent...oh, yes. And a thirst to prove yourself. But where to put you?" the Sorting Hat wondered.