"I have served MoonClan for a long time," Screechshade said at last. "It is to this clan that I am most loyal."

            Snowflake froze, causing Hazelstar to erupt in laughter.

            "I always knew you'd be the one to crack eventually. You're weak, just like your pathetic father. He was a wimp as well. You believe you can take me down, but know this, little she-cat, I practically own you now. Try to escape, try to leave, my guards will be after you. I am close to many cats in this forest who will gladly kill you. You're lucky that I will not kill you this time."

            Snowflake paused, about to sigh in relief, when Hazelstar leapt at the white she-cat, pinning her against the clan wall. Screechshade quickly moved the crying kits away as Hazelstar sunk her claws into Snowflake's chest, causing her to cry out in pain.

            "No, please, not in front of the kits," Snowflake whispered through pain.

            "The kits will witness this shortly when they battle," she laughed, knocking Snowflake against the wall. Blood streamed down, and a pool began to form around her.

            Snowflake struggled to her feet but fell, moaning in pain. Hazelstar sliced at her pelt, wailing and moaning as her kits stood, frozen.

            "That's enough, Hazelstar!" Screechshade said at last.

            Hazelstar turned, facing the brown she-cat.

            "Why? Would you like to end up like her, too?" Hazelstar offered.

            "No, but if you continue, she'll die."

            "I suppose," Hazelstar frowned. "It's a good thing we are holding a medicine cat captive," she said, glancing at the crumbled body of Snowflake.

            Hazelstar padded out of the den, calling for Fire. Within a minute, the ginger tom was at her side.

            "Take this injured she-cat to that empty den, and get Rainwhisker. Let him heal her. She'll probably be well again by the time of the battle."

            "But we'll be one less on patrols," Fire argued. "Don't you think it was a bit stupid to severely injure a warrior?"

            "She'll be better by battle!" Hazelstar hissed. "Now take her! And don't allow her mate to visit if he wants the same fate!"

            Fire nodded and grabbed the injured she-cat by the scruff. Her white pelt was now red with blood, and she moaned as he pulled her across the camp.

            Hazelstar took a step forward towards Screechshade's kits and Snowflake's kits.

            "It's time to make you apprentices," she purred.

Hazelstar stood with the five kits in the center of the camp, waiting as the camp gathered to hear her message. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see the incredibly weak Snowflake peek out, trying to see her kits.

            "CATS OF MOONCLAN! TODAY, OUR CLAN GROWS STRONGER!" Hazelstar yowled.

            Cats erupted in a roar, praising Hazelstar and the cats that stood before her.

            "Now that Snowflake and Screechshade's kits are an approppriate age to start training, today, we will make them apprentices!"

            Another roar of cheer.

            "First, I would like to invite Snowflake's litter forward," Hazelstar purred, watching as the three kits slowly made their way towards their leader. Wolfkit, the white tom, glared at her.

            "Don't be too unhappy about your mother," she whispered. "What if the same thing happened to your father?"

            His glare vanished.

            "Today, I present to you these three wonderful kits—Wolfkit, Arctickit, and Graykit!" she yowled.

            The cats yowled again.

            "Wolfkit," she began, turning to face the white tom. His eyes were green, like his father's, but he reminded Hazelstar of Bone.

            "From this day forward, until you receive your warrior name, you shall be known as Wolfpaw!" she yowled. She scowered the crowd, looking for a suitable mentor. Most cats were mentoring by now, but she wanted the best for them.

            "Crystal!" she yowled, watching as the white she-cat came forward.

            "Hazelstar, I can't mentor him. I'm busy with the rogues," she argued.

            "I understand. I need you to find a group of suitable rogues that will mentor. Get the best ones you have!"

            "I-I will," Crystal nodded, running off.

            "Screechshade," Hazelstar called the brown tabby forward. "You will mentor Wolfpaw."

            "It will be an honor, Hazelstar," Screechshade nodded, rushing forward to touch noses with the white tom.

            As the others soon began to receive their apprentice names, Hazelstar began giving out rogues as mentors, watching as the kits awkwardly touched noses with the cats they barely knew.

            With the last kit, Serpentpaw, Hazelstar was exhausted and glad that there were no more kits she'd have to pair up with mentors.

            The ceremony soon ended, followed by arguing with Shard and Snowflake's kits about visiting Snowflake. Hazelstar won that argument, of course, making sure that they went off training instead of sneaking off to the medicine cat den.

            As evening soon fell later that day, Hazelstar sat in her den, thinking of battle strategies in her head. The sound of footsteps made her spin around.

            Crystal stood in front of her, an awkward grin on her face.

            "Mind if I come in?" she asked.

            "No," Hazelstar growled, scooting over. For some reason, she was jealous of the she-cat's beauty, something she never possessed.

            I had a cat I loved and a kit, Hazelstar thought. But she had lost them long ago, hadn't she?

            "What is it you want?" she growled.

            "I just needed to tell you something," Crystal said nervously.

            "And what is that?" Hazelstar asked.

            "I'm expecting Fire's kits..."