Chapter 5

Hazelstar's eyes slowly opened to see a bright and sunny day. She rose slowly, yawning as she awoke. Today, they would be searching for more members and rebuilding the camp.

            She headed outside to find Fire already instructing cats to begin gathering materials. She was glad she had chosen him as her deputy.

            "Good morning, Hazelstar," he said, bowing his head.

            "Good morning, Fire. Did you send these cats off to work?" she asked.

            Fire nodded. Hazelnose turned, watching Ice return with some sticks while Crystal hung up some sticks and branches. She watched little Crow helping as well.?

            "Perfect," she purred. "Now, Fire," she said.

            He turned, his green eyes staring into hers. "Yes, Hazelstar?"

            "Keep on working these cats and telling them what to do. I'll be in the woods looking for some more members, okay? If Ice was told to come, I expect others will be arriving soon. I guess it's best to meet them halfway."

            "When will you return?" Fire asked. 

            "By this evening," Hazelstar told him.

            "Hazelstar, wait!" Crystal shouted.

            Hazelstar turned, looking at the white she-cat. "Is there something you desire?" she asked.

            "I only offer help," Crystal told her. "Cliff, Raven, and I come from a group of rogues. We decided it would be better to travel on our own, but the group still listens greatly to me. If it is not too much trouble, I would like to ask if I may come with you. I'd be gone for a few days though to find my group, but I'd return with nearly thirty cats."

            "Thirty cats!" Hazelstar gasped. They did need more rogues, and though their camp was nowhere big enough, she had vaguely remembered her mother sheltering them outside the camp and supplying them with prey.

            "Fine, you may travel with me," she told the she-cat. "If you step a paw out of line, I have no problem killing you right there. You return in three days time. You hear me, she-cat?"

            "Y-Yes, Hazelstar. Three days will be fine," Crystal gulped.

            "Good. Now come with me."

            "Wait, Crystal," Fire spoke. She turned, and Hazelstar impatiently waited.

            "Be safe," he told her.

            "Thanks," she said.

            Hazelstar eyed Fire who seemed to drool over she-cat. Would she be getting in the way of his deputyship?

            Crystal walked alongside Hazelstar as they headed into the forest, and she did not speak a word.

            Good, Hazelstar thought. I need loyal warriors.

            "Are you hungry?" Hazelstar asked.

            "If it isn't too much trouble, I wouldn't mind eating a rabbit," Crystal told her.

            "Well, we're in the same boat. I left without breakfast. Follow me," she said, leading Crystal through some bushes. The she-cat stood, ready to question Hazelstar, when suddenly Hazelstar leapt into the air, killing a rabbit with one swipe as it leapt from one bush to another.