40.- The Past -

RJ is actually quite nervous, the look on his grandmother and brother's faces clearly tells that whatever it is that is inside the videotape, it's something that can potentially hurt him. His hands are trembling, standing right there facing them and the awkward silence that is currently going on makes him overthink a little too much.

"Seriously, what is going on?"

"Just  ... this." Sebastian uttered before handing him the videotape he's been holding ever since they came in. He read the label and it says "To: RJ, read it when you turn 21.".

"Who is this from?" he asked them.

"Dad." Sebastian replied, making his heart drop. And for the first time in a long time, flashes of his father smiling at him crossed his mind. RJ is now once again lost in his own world, surrounded by the memories he thought he already buried.

"RJ?!" Maine's voice suddenly brought him back to reality. He then looked around and asked what's happening.

"Tulala ka na naman. Wag mo muna panoorin 'yan." she suggested.

"No, I can do this. I'm alright." he replied even though he's not sure if he really is. RJ looked at Maine and saw the concerned look she has on her face, it's obvious that she doesn't want him to watch the tape.

"Apo, I'm so sorry if we chose the worst timing to show this to you. But I've been holding on to this for the longest time. Nung una akala ko makakasama 'to sa'yo pero bandang huli naisip ko na baka eto din ang kailangan para makalimutan mo na ang nangyari dati." he heard Mamita say. RJ looked down at the tape and tried his best to decide whether watching it will be worth it or not.  He knows he's getting better, but even if so, he still can't defeat the ghosts of his past. If the tape will help him let go of what happened, then without a doubt, he knows he will watch it.

"Thanks Mamita. I think I'll watch this when I'm ready." he replied with a smile on his face.

Maine on the other hand decided to lighten up the mood by telling them the latest progress in their relationship. "Mamita ... uh ... may sasabihin po pala kami ni RJ." she uttered before running towards him.

"Anong sasabihin natin?" he whispered at her.

"Babe, yung ano."

"Ano? don't tell me buntis ka na naman."

"Grabe ka,  asa naman no ... yung ano."

"Ano nga?"

"Ayjusko ... Mamita? Seb?"

"What?"

"Kami na po ni RJ." Maine told them. His eyes widened, he never expected that she'll take the initiative to tell them about it. Mamita then rushed in to hug them while Seb just stayed behind and kept on smiling.

RJ can feel it, he can feel Sebastian's jealousy towards them. But much to his surprise, it doesn't satisfy him anymore. His desire to see his older brother suffer is no longer there, his hatred for him is not as strong as it is before, he's finally feeling okay and not agitated or annoyed around him.

"I'm so proud of you, RJ!"

It's clear that Mamita is beaming of joy, he can tell that the subtle ways she used to bring he and Maine closer have worked. He's happy that he didn't turn his back on everything, and that at least now his life really has meaning.

--

"Maine , masaya ka ba ngayon?" Sebastian asked her as soon as the two were left alone in the kitchen. She first glanced at Mamita and RJ who are busy talking about Thirdy in the living room before she answered his question.