1

The air was choked with smoke and the smell of gasoline, as rain beat down on the crumbling building. Everywhere papers soaked with rain water scattered across the ground and disappeared in the mud when I ran over them.

"Run Abigail! Run! Keep running!" A raspy mans voice shouted above the thunder. Terrified, I listened as I tried to find my car. The car had locks and that meant it was safe. I had always been told to lock the car doors to stay safe and I needed to be safe right now. I just couldn't figure out the impending doom following me.

Whatever it was though was coming for me and it wasn't being quiet about it. Each time it took a heavy step the ground vibrated, the metal that made up its body screeched and banged together, and he kept telling me to stop running.

Instinct told me though I'd be better off listening to the man who told me to keep running.

When I got into the dark parking lot and out of the mud I scrambled around looking for the car. I could barely see through the rain and I wasn't sure what I was looking for, so I stopped at the closet car and tugged on the door handle. It was locked. Panicking I ran to the next car, it was locked as well.

Quickly I moved onto each one as quickly as I could but they were all locked. By the time I had made it half through the cars, whatever was chasing me had entered the parking lot and I could hear the ground cracking beneath his feet.

Feeling myself start to cry softly, I slipped behind one of the cars and curled up near the wheel as he began to shove each car out of his way, getting closer and closer. I had no where else to hide, I was to tired to run any further and I was cold. So instead of trying to get away I closed my eyes and waited for it to find me.

But it didn't, or at least it didn't get the chance to because shortly after I shut my eyes the noise it was making stopped.

Whatever it was stopped.

Frowning, I opened my eyes slowly and dared to peeked out from behind the car. I couldn't see what it was, but I could make out two boys standing between him and I and when I peeked out they both looked back at me.

I could see their faces clearly in the rain, and even though they looked human an icy feeling in my veins told me they weren't.

Gasping I sat up fast and quickly reached around my dark room until I found the string to turn on my lamp. It wasn't until the light flooded my room that I felt like I could breath a little easier and my heartbeat began to slow.

Every night now for two years, I've been having the same nightmare and each night I woke up right after I saw the two boys. Even when I opened my eyes, I could see them clearly. One had dark hair and light brown eyes, he seemed innocent enough, but the other looked damage with his sleep deprived blue eyes and blonde hair.

At first glance they seemed human but after repetitively having the dream I had a strong feeling they weren't.

Oddly, that part of the dream was scarier to me then getting chased by some unseen monster.

Sighing heavily I laid back on my bed and grabbed my clock to check it. It was ten minutes after six, meaning I'd have to get up in forty minutes for school, might as well as get up now.

With that decision being made, I tossed back my covers and grabbed my camouflage jacket to protect me from the cold house. I preferred it to an itchy bathrobe and it made me feel cute to wear something a couple of sizes to big.

When I got downstairs I opened the fridge and pulled out the orange juice and a cup from the cabinet, I only got my glass half full though before my older brother Toby appeared out of no where and grabbed it from me.

''Hey, what are you doing up so early? Did you have the dream again?" He asked and I gasped as I smacked his shoulder.

"Toby! Don't sneak up on me like that I could have a heart attack!" I scolded. He just shrugged as he grabbed a cup and began pouring himself a glass of orange juice.

''Well did you? Did you have the dream again? Or are you just up early to use the hot water?" He inquired once again.

"What do you think? Why else would I sacrifice forty extra minutes of sleep." I sighed as I grabbed my juice and pulled myself up on the counter. Shrugging, he put the orange juice away.

"Its insane your still having it, maybe you should go to that dream therapist mom and dad recommended. Or get a really relaxing massage?" He suggested as my older sister Gemma walked into the kitchen as well scratching her head.

"Did Abigail have the dream again? I heard something about therapy," She said while heading over to the coffee maker. Rolling my eyes I took a sip of my juice.

"Yes I had the dream again and no I'm not going to therapy. I'm not crazy, I don't need professional help because I'm having a nightmare," I said firmly.

"Who said your crazy? Is it because you had the dream again?" Naomi, my only younger sibling asked as she skipped into the kitchen, completely dressed and ready for school.

"Why do you have a full face of make up on at six thirty in the morning?'' Gemma asked and as she brewed a pot off coffee while Naomi walked over to the counter and pulled herself up next to me.

"I have a theater rehearsal this morning, Toby is driving me." She informed before nudging me. "So did you have the dream again?" She asked and I groaned as I leaned back against the cabinet.

"Yes I had the dream again! Can we change the subject now? Or better yet, can all of you go back to bed and leave me alone." I grumbled, beginning to get annoyed. Seeing that, Gemma jumped to my defense and changed the subject.

"Well, on that note, I know you all have a lot going on today but don't forget mom and dad need us home for dinner tonight, they have an announcement." Gemma reminded, like we needed another reminder. Our parents only told us hundred times last night as we were getting ready for bed that they had something to talk about with us after school. They made it sound important but I'm pretty sure it was going to be something stupid like we all needed to reduce the time we spent on our phones, or start a family garden.

"We know Gemma, stop acting like a third parent two is enough," Toby said with the roll of his eyes and she glared at him before grabbing a mug to pour herself some coffee.

"Gemma is the oldest, of course she's going to act like a third parent, its natural." Naomi informed and I finished the last of my orange juice before slipping off the counter to put it in the sink.

"I think I'm going to get ready for school, I sense a disagreement brewing and I rather not be dragged into it," I said and before any of my wonderful siblings could argue I headed upstairs.

Badly I wanted the kitchen to myself this morning but since that was out and I was definitely not going back to bed, getting ready for school seemed to be the best option.

So I grabbed a towel and helped myself to a hot shower, in hopes the water would wash away any memory of the dream, before I had to go concentrate on more important stuff in a two story building of teenagers. Teenagers who were all competing against each other.

Ahh high school, the American nightmare. 

_______________________________________________________________________
Hello my fellow Wattpadians! For those of you who may not know me, I'm Mari and this will be officially my 4th or 5th story here on Wattpad but hopefully the 3rd one I will entirely finish! Now, most of you who have read my work before are probably use to my humor and light hearted story, so I must forewarn you, this will be a little bit darker then my other stories! Not to dark though and hopefully you all will like it regardless!

Don't be afraid to let me know what you think it the comments :)

-Mari.