34

"Elaine, hurry the fuck up, or they'll track down the missing truck!" Tabitha shouted through my door after banging on it. At this, Jerome broke off the kiss, his eyes widening and he moved off of me, swiftly rolling off the bed and standing as I slowly sat up, my heart still racing.

I hurried to the door and smiled at Tabitha as I quickly tied my frizzy hair back into a high ponytail. "What?" I asked as if nothing was wrong. "I'm ready, let's go."

Jerome stepped into the doorway from behind me and Tabitha mouthed a drawn out "Oh," nodding slowly. "Well," she said smartly, with a hint of sass in her tone, "I'm glad you two are getting alone nicely, but you should save the spice for later," she lowered her voice for the last bit.

Blushing, I nodded briskly and Jerome bounced past me, still full of obvious adrenaline. "Yeah, yeah, you're right, Tabs," he said quickly, staring at me excitedly. "Can we please go now, I'm ready for some violence."

It was hard to distinguish which Jerome loved more: Anything violent, or anything sexual.

I followed him, holding back a smile at his childish grin and we quickly made our way to the truck parked in an alley behind Galavan's tower. Greenwood sat in the shotgun seat this time, Aaron ready to drive. I sat on Jerome's lap again and he laughed softly when I sat down. "You're so short," he teased in a low tone, barely audible.

Aaron climbed in the truck and slammed the door, starting the engine loudly and we sped off. "Where to?" I asked anyone, but mainly Jerome as he seemed to be the leader.

He thought for a moment and then exclaimed, "Ooh!" as he had earlier when asked what to do with the spare employee on top of the Gotham Gazette. "How about that bridge, next to the park that I dropped the hatchet in that I killed my mother with," he chuckled.

My eyes widened at the thought of the park and the bridge. "Ethan," I said excitedly, gripping Jerome's hand that he had set in my lap. "Ethan might be there, I can't wait to see him!"

Jerome didn't seem too excited about this, but I didn't blame him. He didn't seem to be very fond of Ethan when they met at the police station, but that was probably because the two had sort of been preset as enemies since I was in the middle. If Ethan saw that I was safe with Jerome, though, maybe he'd change his mind.

We neared the bridge and I felt my heart pounding at the thought of seeing my brother, but when we turned the corner, he wasn't there. I knew I shouldn't be worried,as he was probably just at work, but I didn't see the dog that usually hung around either, and he said he'd take care of her while I was gone.

Straightening my glasses and squinting a bit as we got closer, I noticed that there was a piece of paper on the ground, held there by a beer bottle. "Jerome, there's a note or something," I muttered. "Stop, stop the car! I have to see it."

"Relax, sunshine, Jerome said in a completely calm tone. "We're stopping anyway, see?"

The truck slid to a halt and I crawled over Aaron, kicking the door open and leaping out as Jerome shouted at me to slow down. I ran to the paper and flipped it over, seeing not Ethan's scrawny handwriting that I expected, but neater, and signed with a different name.

Elaine,

I dare say you'll remember me. When I discovered you had been broken out of Arkham, I was worried for your welfare, so I came here, to see your brother. He told me he didn't know where you were, and to leave a note here as he went to someplace underground with a friend of his.

You'll remember that I have access to the files of everyone in Gotham, and that I found yours and your brother's easily. In my search, I found another that seemed to be tied to yours based on background information; his name is Robert Schwartz, and he worked for your father, but then was fired and later hired by Wayne Enterprises, then murdered shortly after unexplainably. I would like to talk about him and your parents' wills sometime soon. I've left my address and telephone number below. Please contact me whenever you can.

I not only want to tell you what I know about your parents and  Robert Schwartz, but I'm concerned about you. You intrigue me, as does your past.

-Edward Nygma

Below his name was his contact information, which I smiled at as I read. There was a way for me to know more about my past, and all I had to do was contact this man whenever I pleased. I was left speechless, staring at the letter in awe and re-reading every word repeatedly until I heard Dobkins shout, "Hey, Lainey, Jerome says to get back in the car."

Still gripping the letter with my eyes glued to it, I scurried back to the truck and climbed in, plopping back down on Jerome's lap. "What have you got there?" he asked, kissing my cheek quickly as I turned around to show him.

"It's a letter from, uh, the forensics guy at the police station," I fumbled over my words with excitement. "He has information about my parents."

Jerome sighed, scanning the letter quickly with an obvious lack of interest. "Well, sounds nice and fun, but right now, we're ready to blow some shit up." He grinned as he glanced out the window at a school bus full of teenage cheerleaders for Gotham's high school. "I think we just found our lucky winners," he chuckled.

"Yay, Gotham!" Greenwood roared, smacking the side of the truck as Aaron started the car and we sped towards the school bus. As Jerome laughed maniacally, I grinned, feeling confident in receiving my letter and having the boy by my side.

I  l o v e  t h i s  c h a p t e r

I am so so so so excited to bring Ed back ahhh