29

"You ready, Laine?"

Jerome, Greenwood, Dobkins, Aaron and I were all stood by the back door of Yellen's Shipyard, ready to break in. I felt as Galavan called me, dangerous; it must've been due to my appearance.

Working out had done a lot for me. I felt my biceps flex every time I moved my arms, and saw my calves do the same with every step I took. It made me look tougher to beat. I had also contoured, creating the illusion that my cheekbones stood high on my face, and completed the look off with a cat eye look of waterproof eyeliner. With my crimped hair up in a high ponytail, I not only felt pretty, but dangerous, which was just the way I needed to look today.

I nodded to Jerome, smiling excitedly, and he stepped aside, scurrying behind a dumpster, along with the rest of the group doing the same. Glancing down at my makeup covered ankle, I winced. It really did look like there was blood pouring out of my skin and a slight bruise was already forming. I took a few steps away from the door, then started crying loudly and hobbled back towards it slowly. I hesitated from knocking, since that was to be a last resort, and simply stood there, clutching my leg.

The back door flew open after a moment and a worker stood in the frame in shock. "Jesus Christ," he muttered, "What happened, miss?"

"I-I was running from this guy," I stammered, nodding to the road and continuing to ramble. "He's been stalking me. I needed a place to hide, so I thought this alley would work, and I hit my foot on the bricks, oh, today has been awful - "

The man reached out and placed a hand on my shoulder gently. "It's alright, can I get your name?"

"Williams, Faith Williams, sir."

"Alright, Miss Williams, come inside for a little, have a seat."

As the man led me inside, I glanced at the dumpsters, paranoid at seeing the top of Jerome's orange hair sticking up, moving slightly as, I imagined, he laughed at the situation under his breath. Just as it was about to close, I felt something slide between the door and the frame, knowing it was Jerome who had raced over and slid an index card there, like planned.

The room was full of five other workers and loads of boxes, and the man led me away from the door to the corner of the room. I scanned the room quickly and decided I would position myself in front of the door when the others came in so that the workers wouldn't be able to leave. "Now, do you think you need an ambulance, hon?" the same worker at before asked me, sliding over a chair for me to sit in.

I took a seat and shook my head. "I just need security from that man for awhile, if that's okay."

"Sure, just don't mind me, I've gotta get back to work."

The door swung open and Jerome appeared, grinning ear to ear. "Ohh," he said in a sarcastically sad tone as the other workers turned around slowly at the sound of the door and his voice. "I don't know about that."

I leaped out of my chair and over a few boxes, swiftly making my way to the other door. The workers stood around in shock, almost just letting Jerome and the others tie them up and blindfold and gag them. We lugged them out of the building easily, and as the guys waited with the workers, I turned the corner to the business's parking lot to find an empty vehicle to steal. There was a line of them and I chose the one closest, as it made the most sense. I called the others and they snuck around the side of the building.

As we reached the van, another pulled up quickly and an employee hopped out, rushing towards the car we were about to steal. "What the hell do you think you're doing?" he shouted at us angrily, waving his hand towards the other van.

Jerome rolled his eyes. "We only need six," he groaned, sighing. "But, I guess we'll have to bring you along."

The worker looked confused for a second, then glanced at his friends and gulped as Aaron stepped forward and yanked him towards Greenwood to tie up.

Once the hostages were in the back of the vehicle, Aaron climbed in the shotgun seat and Jerome assigned Greenwood to drive as he sat down in the center of the seat that went all the way across the car. Dobkins climbed on the side of the car, next to Aaron, and grabbed onto the door. I shrugged, waiting for Greenwood to get inside so I could do the same, but Jerome stopped him from stepping into the van. "Where are you planning on riding?" he asked.

"On the side of the car, like Dobkins."

"No, no, that won't do," Jerome fussed, shaking his head and smirking. "You might get hurt, princess. Come ride right here on my lap."

Feeling my cheeks burn at the way he worded it, I shrugged. "There's not really any room."

"There's room for you," he insisted, patting his lap.

I sighed and hopped in the car, sitting on his lap carefully and trying to still keep a distance, but he sat up and wrapped his arms around my waist, chuckling as he rested his chin on my shoulder, peeking around me. "Let's get movin', Greenwood!" he ordered, cackling as we drove off to the Gotham Gazette.

I'm so so sorry for this whole editing thing I hope y'all don't mind too much