CHAPTER 1

I felt a smack across my face. I put down what I was reading and touch my cheek, I flinch from the pain and look up. "Yes Ms. Debbie?"

"I said a couple looking to adopt will be here in a hour, get ready." she hisses.

"What else would they be doing here?" I mumble sarcastically which earned me another backhand smack across the face. I get up and quietly say sorry and head up to my tiny room. It's the smallest one because it used to be a storage closet. I sigh as I turn on the lights and place my book on the small vanity. I sit down and look at my cheek that's starting to bruise. Ugh. I pull out my crimper. My hair is straight and I hate it. As soon as it heats up I start with my dyed dark blue side bangs that usually hangs over my right eye when I'm too lazy to move it. The rest of my hair is light blonde. As soon as i finish I grab my large can of hairspray and heavily coat my hair with it.

I head to my dresser and open up the drore that holds my few T-shirts. I decide to pull out my favorite Doctor Who T-shirt and black skinny jeans. After putting them on I look at myself in the full length mirror. Crap, the bruise. I quickly head back to my Vanity and grab my makeup, I don't wear it often mostly because it's so hard to find foundation that's as light as my skin. I'm about as white as a sheet of paper. As a last touch I grab my glasses cleaner (Mostly because I don't remember the last time I cleaned them) and set it down on the table and remove my glasses. Ugh lots of smudges, I give them a spray and wipe them off with a handkerchief and put them back on.

After a last glance in the mirror deeming myself worthy and a glance at the clock I walk out my door with ten minutes to spare. I see the others, they each head for their designated room. I head to the one for kids 12-14. The different rooms make it easier for the head mistresses sort us out.

After a while everyone around my age is in the room chatting amongst themselves. There's only eight of us. Each of them are explaining why they think their getting adopted. Crap my hands are already starting to shake just thinking about having to meet and talk to new people.

Ms. Paige walks into the room, "Hi children, as you know there is a lovely couple here looking to adopt," we all nod to show we are listening. "But, we would like to tell you before you meet them is that they are both men and that we wish you to not make any rude comments, okay?" We all nod again. "Okay Rose you're up first." She stands up from her spot on a couch and walks over to the door and walks out with Ms. Paige.

Not many people here are nice to me. In fact it's only Ms. Paige. She's the only one who hasn't hit me or verbally abused me. One by one each kid is pulled out of the room. One goes about every 10 minutes. during the agonizing wait I close my eyes taking deep breaths willing all the nerves to go away. But they wont. After almost an hour I'm the last one in the room.

"Emily," I look over from where I was staring and see ms. Paige. "It's your turn,"

"O-okay," I stutter standing up. As I get to her she puts her hand on my shoulder. "Remember, deep breaths. Okay?" I nod and she smiles. We walk down the hall leading to the meeting room. She opens the door and we walk in. I sit down on the side of the table with a single chair. Across from me, on the other side of the table sits two very familiar faces.

"Phil, Dan this is Emily." I can hardly breath, I hold out my shaking hand and shake both of theirs. Holy crap omfg. Ms. Paige leaving just them and me in the room.

"Hi," says Dan.

"Why don't you start by telling us about yourself," says Phil. After a few seconds the shock finally fades and I start to speak.

"Well, I , um, I'm," I take a deep breath and laugh a bit, "I'm pretty much internet trash number one, reading is my favorite pass time, I'll cry if I ever get a grade below a 95, I watch Doctor Who, Sherlock, and Supernatural, and I'm constantly on YouTube," they chuckle a bit.