Chapter 6

"You wasn't there, boss. He was faster than a snake strike." Scudd stretched his fingers and stared at his companions for support. Bodine's face suggested a nettled, disbelief.

"That's true, Mister Bodine," Harlan Guthrie said. "Never saw a man draw that quick... never even saw him draw!"

Garth glared at the men with disgust. "Three of you and nobody could get the drop on him! Useless! Get out of here. Go and find out if Earl learned anything helpful."

The three men slumped angrily out of the saloon, the two brothers shoving one another belligerently, led by an enraged Scudd. Garth called to his bartender for a drink.

"Where's Tillie?"

"Upstairs restin' with the other girls, Mister Bodine. Tonight's gonna be busy with the miners comin' in to meet the assayers."

Garth frowned, he forgot about the assayers making their semi-annual trip to Nugget and setting up to meet with the miners. He was hoping for some afternoon dalliance. The bartender brought him his glass and the bottle and Garth poured a healthy slug, downing it in one big gulp. He wanted to know why Crowe would be in Nugget, and it nettled him that he didn't. What, he did know, but he sure didn't like the sound of, was the man's ability with a shooter. Maybe the business at the telegraph office was just an act of chivalry. He doubted it; in his view, men like Crowe weren't disposed to acts of chivalry. The doors to the saloon swung open and a thin, well-dressed man entered, making straight for Bodine's table.

"You here for any particular reason?"

"Hello to you too." The man pulled out a chair and sat comfortably opposite Bodine. He waited a beat and then he helped himself to a slug from the bottle. "Why the glum mood?"

"Nothin' for you to be concerned about." Bodine refilled his glass, frowning at the man's audacity. The setting sun shot streaks of yellow through the dusty saloon windows, trapping more tiny particles in a slow ballet above their heads.

The bartender collected the spittoons and carted them noisily out the back to be emptied and rinsed out. A few more men wandered in, some sitting at tables, others standing at the bar and waiting; impatience hung in the air like a sour smell. It was not a typical day in Nugget. Today, all the sweat and hard work, the disappointment and the hallelujahs would come to a head when the assayers rang their bell, opening the temporary office.

"Lawyer says the papers will be ready today."

Bodine snorted. ""Old Walter makes out like he's doin' some big deal; the papers'r already, just need signatures."

"So let's get them and sign them."

"Eager, aren't you? You think you're gonna find what dozens of others couldn't?"

"They didn't have your guarantee." The sentence came out cold and flat. "That was a guarantee, right?"

"I said you'd do okay... you wouldn't lose any money. I don't give guarantees on things I don't control."

"That's not what you said when we first talked. You said—"

"I know what I said, Carter." Another drained glass and another refill. "Don't start up with me or I might just change my mind about signing and keep your money as the cost of negotiating. I said I had land to sell, it was promising, you could do well and that's all I said."

Bodine slammed his glass down and sat up. "Don't come in here thinkin' we're in some kind of partnership, Carter. I had property for sale, you wanted it, you paid my price and it's gonna be yours."

"Except you still own the right of way to get to it." Carter grumbled, reaching again for the bottle.

Garth snatched it away. "I'm not a charity. It's my business. You don't like it, move on."

"You're a real bastard, Bodine."

"And you ain't welcome at my table any more right now. When Walter brings me the papers I'll send Scudd to fetch you, now beat it."

Carter stood and tipped his chair over. Scudd appeared in the lobby doorway, one hand on the butt of his gun.

"Mister Carter was just leavin', Scudd. See that he finds the door okay."

******

Tobias was leaning on the hitching rail when Brenda came out, locking the door to her office. She tested the handle and then checked her reflection in the window and primped at her hair. He stood and wiped his mouth, showing a broad grin as she stepped down to the road and took his arm.

"I hope you still care to have this meal, ma'am."

"Brenda... Mister Crowe... and I do." Her expression was impish.

A drifting cloud exposed the late evening sun behind them and as they walked to the general store, they watched their shadows moving ahead with a surprising intimacy.

"General store's just up there on the other side." Brenda said, letting her arm release slightly.

"I'd like to pass the smithy's to check on my horse if that's okay."

Relieved to avoid the shadow's image, she did an about turn, strolling with him back across the rutted roadway. Streaks of red, blue and orange coloured the sky and a warm breeze made little dust devils on street around their feet. Brenda experienced a strange feeling of comfort and pride, walking with Tobias. He seemed a well-mannered young man and took some pride in his dress as well. The easygoing style and the suggested undercurrent of dangerous strength gave her a feeling of comfort and security. She felt a tiny shudder at what might have happened if he hadn't shown up to confront Scudd.

"You seem miles away." Tobias offered as they turned into the blacksmith's shop.

Brenda didn't answer as Hastings stepped away from his forge and wiped his huge hands on the dirty apron about his waist.

"Shoe's all fixed if you want to look at it."

"Thanks, it bothered her for quite a few miles. I expect she's happier now."

"Certainly ate enough, I might have to charge you a bit more."

Tobias held his horse's head and muttered some words then bent down and picked up the newly shod foot.

"Very nice job, I'm happy to pay what you ask."

"I was joking, mister. Feed and water is part of the business, it's all included in my charges, except for boarding and any maintenance necessary."

"Mister Hastings is also an accomplished veterinary doctor." Brenda said.

"Really? In that case, she's got a small—"

"I saw it. You must have rode her through some dense thicket; it was a small scratch and a puncture just behind the saddle. I cleaned it out and put some ointment on it."

"Obliged. What's your bill then?"

"You leavin' now?"

"Nope. Expect to be here at least another night." His eyes found Brenda watching him and they both did mini double takes.

"I'll have it for you tomorrow then." Hastings waved a dismissing hand then paused. "By the way, Garth Bodine's boys came around askin' about you."

Tobias made a crooked mouth. "Seems this Bodine fella has a big interest in me."

"He wants to know everything that goes on here."

"Maybe I'll drop by later and fill him in." He didn't smile and both Hastings and Brenda looked as if they felt a chill blow over them. He blinked and his calm expression returned. "I'll be by in the morning then. Thanks again."

"My pleasure." Hastings said, with a slight reservation.