Chapter 10

“Is it far?” Tired, Kate’s mind filled with terrifying images of Emma being held captive. Would Min harm Emma? Anger swept through Kate. Emma was just a little girl. She couldn’t defend herself. A moment later Kate’s anger melted and fear filled her belly. Min was horrible and shrewd. Could Alara and Jasper beat him?

“Far enough,” replied Alara, who walked a few paces ahead of Kate.

Kate lowered her head and pushed her doubts away. Alara and Siptah had tried to warn Kate to be cautious, and she had already learned how badly things could go when she rushed into things. For Emma’s sake, they had to think before they took action. Kate looked deep inside herself for some confidence and determination.

“We will be there in an hour or so,” added Siptah.

Kate glanced over her shoulder, at Siptah, walking quietly behind her. In a sense she felt trapped, but that was her mind running away with her again. Siptah was right, she had to stop thinking about what had happened in the past and move on, look ahead. She had to stop dwelling and start planning.

“There are only five of them,” she said aloud. “We can handle that.” If only she could make herself believe her own words.

“We do not know how many more will be waiting in the Antechamber,” said Siptah. “Besides, they have a wizling remember.”

Kate didn’t want to hear things like that, but Siptah was right again. It was better to be prepared. She sighed.

“I need a weapon.”

“No you do not,” said Alara. The princess stopped and turned to look at Kate. “You will not enter the Antechamber. It is too dangerous. Siptah and I will rescue Emma. You will wait in the tunnel.”

“I’ll do no such thing!”

The two girls glared at each other.

“Emma is my sister, and I will not sit back and watch. I can help.”

“How?”

Kate swallowed and looked down at the ground between their feet. “I don’t know, but I’m helping you get Emma out of there.”

Siptah stepped up behind her. She felt his presence before she felt his hand on her shoulder. “We will assess the situation when we arrive at the Antechamber. You will help if that gives us the advantage.”

Kate felt the warmth rising up her neck to settle in her cheeks. Neither of them believed she would be useful. She clenched her fists tightly, her fingernails biting into her palms, but she said nothing.

They continued walking. A short time later they stopped to rest.

“I have seen that scowl on your face before,” said Siptah.

Kate remained silent.

“When Joe talks to you, you look like that,” Siptah added. “Angry. Defiant. What did he do to make you hate him?”

Kate looked up. “Hate him?”

Siptah nodded. “I saw the hate every day. He must have done something terrible. What was it?”

Kate stared at the strips of meat in her hand. Did she hate Joe? She thought she did, but why? What had he done apart from marry her mother? There must be another reason she disliked him so much. There had to be.

“Kate?”

She shrugged. “I don’t want to talk about it.”

“Why? Was it that bad?”

No.

“Or is it because he is not your real father, and you resent him for that?”

Silence.