Chapter 4

Slippers were not suitable footwear for a person rushing down cramped tunnels. Especially fluffy slippers with open backs and thin soles. They refused to stay where they belonged—on the feet—and caused the wearer an endless amount of pain and frustration.

In fact, Kate found herself cursing them every time she slipped over and fell to her knees. Why hadn’t she put on her joggers? They would have been ideal for this situation, but how was she to know that she would end up in an underground cave, on the run? If she had known, she would have thought to get dressed too.

Finally, with her knees scraped and bruised, she kicked the soft slippers off in disgust.

“I’ll end up breaking a leg wearing those things,” she said to Emma, who was bare footed and coping quite well.

“You must not leave them behind,” said Sophie. “Min will know you are with us if you do.”

“And we do not want that,” added Jasper.

Kate snatched the slippers up and pushed them into her dressing gown pocket. “There. I’m ready to keep going. Where are we going anyway? And who is Min?”

“This way,” said Sophie, and she darted down another dark tunnel.

Kate groaned. That was one way to answer a question without really giving a reply.

They continued on. She tried to remember the route they had taken so far, but it was no good. The tunnels twisted and turned in every direction. She was lost. She and Emma were at the mercy of the kittens, and Kate wasn’t happy about that one bit.

“Ow!”

Kate looked up in time to see Emma drop to the ground.

“Emma?” Kate rushed to her sister. “What’s wrong?”

“I hit my toe on a rock. It hurts bad. I want m-mummy.” Emma started to cry.

Kate pulled her little sister against her and gave her a hug. “Don’t cry. Mum and Joe will come for us.”

“How will they know where to look?”

I wish I knew, Emma.

The two girls stared at each other. More tears spilled down Emma’s dirty face.

“Show me your foot,” said Kate, moving the torch in front of them.

Emma, her chin on her knee and both hands wrapped around her sore foot, pulled her hands away and wiggled her toes.

“It’s not bleeding,” said Kate. “Can you walk?”

“Hurry,” said Jasper. “Min is not far behind us.”

“She’s hurt,” said Kate, her eyes narrowing. “She needs—”

A loud explosion caused the ground to shake and loose dirt to shower on them from above.

Emma screamed.

“She needs to be moving,” said Jasper. His green eyes searched Kate’s face, and then he looked at Emma. “I know she hurts, but if Min catches either of you—”

“Come quickly,” interrupted Sophie. “The next cavern is just around the next bend in the tunnel. We can rest there. It will be safe.”

Kate looked at Emma. “Do you want me to carry you?”

“It hurts, but I’m a big girl,” said Emma with a grin. “Daddy always tells me that.”

Emma was right. Joe often praised them both.