#6 - I'll Protect You

Zandar tapped his foot impatiently to the ground. His usually messy hair was now neat, silked with pomade and for once he wore his best shirt, which he rarely use.

Where is Nica? He leaned to the school gate near the Front, letting out a sigh. He scratched the back of his head, looking around for signs of Nica.

Zandar was actually ten minutes early. On normal days, he would slack and come ten until twenty minutes late, since he's home is just beside the school.But this time, it's different. He's very first date. And he could not wait to start.

He was throwing rocks to the garden when a hand hit the back of his head. "Yo," greeted him. "You're early. That's rare."

"Glad to see you too," Zandar ignored Nica's gleeful smile. He circled a hand to Nica's shoulder. Nica's face went pink. "Let's go."

Nica let Zandar lead the way towards the festival ground, just in front of the junior high building. Her blue blouse waved backwards as the afternoon breeze blew. It was only 5.30, but the school was already crowded. Students gathered in a group, forming a line in front of the stands, waiting them to open, talking to each other. Committee members were walking back and forth, preparing the classrooms for cafes, stands, and the stage. The performances itself won't start until 7, with fireworks show as the closing at 10, and the stands and cafes won't open until 6.00.

"Do you know that the twins are going to open a cafe?" Nica started a coversation, looking up to Zandar. "Really? Well, as expected from Mrs. Lyra's grandchildren," Zandar shrugged. "You want to visit them when they open?" Nica nodded excitedly.

"Where's your mom and sister?" Zandar looked around. Obviously, he was refering to Anca and Rere.

"Oh, well they say they're coming at 6.00, so they can head straight to the twins' cafe without waiting and eat all they want," answered Nica casually. "Some appetite they got there," Zandar mumbled.

"Well, Anca eats just normally. Rere is inhuman when it comes to food."

Zandar burst into laughter. "Heyy, you're laughing," Nica gave him a light punch to his shoulder. Zandar calmed himself down, before answering, "I am human, so what's wrong with that?" He gave Nica a funny look.

"You haven't laugh like that lately, since the dream incident. Well, you do rarely laugh on usual days. You chuckle and giggle, yes, but not like this... So, it's kind of a new thing for me to see you laugh," Nica replied, honesty shown in her words.

Zandar went quiet for a moment. "Want to know why?" He finally asked.

"Why?" Nica tilted her head.

"Because I have you."

***

"Look at the crowd!" Zandar said as he watched people gathering in front of the twins' maid/butler themed cafe. "The twins' are a hit." He whistled.

"NICAAAAAA!!!!!" A voice suddenly called, grabbing Nica by the arm. Nica's eyes widen with surprise.

"Alice! What's with the rush?" Alice held up one finger, motioning Nica to wait for a minute. She took a deep breath, tired after serving the customers and running to Nica.