"Months." Yetska answers simply. "But since you both have decided to split the learning and the librarian has promised to return and continue her learning, I am willing to cut down the time."

"What the if the librarian is lying?"  Kreen asks, mistrust flashing in her eyes.

Yetska studies Heswyn in such a way that even Delia shudders though her eyes are not on her.  "Then we will know that foreign women, like the men are not to be trusted."

Delia's eyes widen as she realizes Yetska's implication.

"Yes."  Yetska says, seeing the writer's horrified expression.  "If the librarian lies, then all foreigners that stumble across our island will be deemed untrustworthy and personally dealt with using the pointed end of my spear."

With that heavy threat weighing upon them, they enter the settlement.

"These are our newest students." Yetska announces to everyone within earshot. "Meet the librarian, Heswyn and the warrior, Cordelia. I trust that you'll all treat them as if they were born and raised in Paridia. I sense great promise in these two."

All Paridians within view --both men and women-- crowd around Delia and Heswyn. Much to Delia's surprise they each greet them with warm embraces and call them, "sister."

The last one to greet them is Yetska, herself.  She clasps Heswyn and Delia to her chest and when she pulls away there's a small smile on her face.  "Now that you have officially entered our home, you are no longer foreigners to be looked at with misgiving, but sisters and family to us all."  Yetska turns to her people.  "A grand meal shall take place in order to welcome our newest sisters!"

Delia's jaw nearly drops.  Earlier the Amazons --especially Yetska-- had appeared to be hostile and intimidating, but now she doesn't know what to think of them.

"How interesting."  Heswyn says, mirroring Delia's thoughts.

"Indeed."

〰〰〰

Light brush strokes tickle Delia's nose as the Paridian man in front of her paints her face for tonight's special occasion, the meal that is to welcome them.

The man --Seq-- dips his brush into one of the many bowls of paint arrayed in front of him and then lightly brushes some of the paint on to Delia's skin.

"Done." He announces, setting his brush aside.

Out of instinct, Delia raises her hand to touch her face, but Seq quickly takes her hand in his before she is able.

"Best not to smudge the paint, sister." He says with a kindly smile. 

Delia politely takes her hand out of his.  "If you don't mind me asking, how does it feel to be seen as less than women?"

Seq's brow crumples and Delia can tell that she's upset the kindly man.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't of asked."  Delia says quickly.

Seq shakes his head.  "It is fine, I will answer your question."  He pauses for a moment, seeming as if he is collecting his thoughts.  "I assume it feels..."  his dark eyes meet with hers, "the same way it does for you when you are in the continent."

"I-". Delia's words cut off as her thoughts run rapid through her head. 

"I suppose it feels frustrating, knowing you can do more, be more than you already are but not being allowed to stretch out and truly see what you're made of."

Seq's smile is a sad one.  "Yes, that's how it feels."

They share a deep look that is quickly interrupted by Heswyn shoving into the tent.  "Look at the artistry on our faces, Delia!"

Curiosity piqued, Delia waves a goodbye to the interesting man and follows Heswyn to the clear, freshwater lake that isn't far from the settlement. 

When Delia looks into the lake's mirror-like surface, she hardly recognizes herself.

I almost look like an Amazon.

She wears their traditional tunic made from a special plant with waterproof leaves. As a fabric, it is stretchy and breathable. Both the men and women wear it cinched with a braided belt at the waist. Her feet are left bare, which is a strange feeling for a girl who always wears sturdy boots.

However, it is her face that catches her breath.

Delia's features are painted in a display of red, oranges, blues, white and black

Delia's features are painted in a display of red, oranges, blues, white and black.  Her stormy grey eyes are accentuated the most along with her forehead where her bangs had been pinned back to allow more of her face to be used as a canvas.  The delicate heart shaped slopes of her upper lip had been painted a light blue and the slope of her lower lip the color black.

"This is incredible."  Delia whispers.

"That it is."  Heswyn voices her agreement. 

The librarian's own face, neck, and collarbones had been painted in tones of red, orange, and green which contrasts and blends with her pale freckled skin and fiery red hair.

"If only our skin was much darker and our hair brown, we'd blend right in."  Heswyn says.

Delia nods, still entranced with the strange face that peers back at her from the water.

"We should be going, I'm not yet familiar with the Paridian culture, but I'm fairly certain it will be seen as rude if we're late to our own welcoming meal." Heswyn states.

Delia laughs lightly and the two go back to the settlement, as not to be late.

The night progresses on swift feet as Delia tries to take in everything in front of her.  Similar to the culture shock she received in Lit, Paridia offers her that same shock tenfold.  It is so strange to her to see the gender standard's completely switched.  The women catch the food, the men make it.  The women train as warriors and the men take care of the household. 

The only similarities to what Delia is used to is that the men still do a lot of the heavy lifting and construction and the women are still the primal caregivers to their young children.  However, when the children get older the women are sent back to work as Amazon warriors and the men take over as caregivers.

Completely upside-down.  Delia thinks as she watches the men make polite conversation while there wives are allowed to speak jovially.

As Delia continues her observation throughout the night, she finds that she doesn't like what is happening in Paridia anymore than she does back in Pik and Lithko.

Why can't there be equality like there is in Lanthos?  Why does one gender always have to be the oppressed?