Chapter 1: Life Before The Fire

LIFE BEFORE THE FIRE - a/n: this chapter is a long chapter, it establishes the key relationships formed between the twins and the firefighters at 51. DISCLAIMER I do not know Chicago Fire or PD, I do not own the characters. The storyline is my own, reviews and ideas are much appreciated. In this story Andy Darden is the proud father of twins Abigail Kelly Darden and Lucas Matthew Darden. Heather is still around. (Final edit)

"Morning Uncle Kelly" Abigail smiled as she walked towards the squad table with her dad and twin brother Lucas. Severide was their dad's best friend and had been since the two were in Kindergarten. As Abigail reached the table Severide pulled her small figure towards him she fell on his knee.

"Morning bug, what's got you so cheery today?" Severide smiled as he noticed the youngest twin had a smile sprawled across her face.

"Kelly, don't get her started. She's been like this all morning" Lucas complained.

"Well" Abi started. "You're looking at Lincoln High Ravens reinstated gymnast" Abigail squealed unable to contain her excitement.

"Well done bug. I'm proud of you" Severide smiled at his best friend's daughter.

"Please Uncle Kelly don't fuel that ball of energy" Abi stuck her tongue out at her twin brother, the squad table laughed as they watched the exchange between the two.

"Morning Luke. How's basketball going?" Severide then greeted the other twin.

"Great. You gonna come and watch the game with dad next Thursday?" Lucas questioned hopefully.

"What about your mom?" Severide asked cautiously, he knew that she had been distant with the twins for a while and wasn't happy.

"She doesn't want miss springboard to do it because it isn't good for her heart. So she's refusing to watch me play and staying home" Severide looked from the younger twin to his best friend for confirmation. He nodded.

He hated how Heather wouldn't except that Abi was still able to lead a normal childhood despite suffering from a heart condition. He remembered how Heather refused to let Abi play basketball with the rest of the firehouse at a BBQ a couple of years ago and had made her sit with Shay.

"I've got my meet that day too, will you come to that?"

"I'm sure I can fit you two into my very busy schedule" Severide emphasized the word 'very'.

"Busy schedule? You mean you'll come as long as it doesn't interfere with a booty call?" Lucas joked as the squad table laughed at the teenager's attitude.

"Lucas Matthew Darden" Andy reprimanded even though he knew this is exactly what his best friend meant.

"You gotta admit..." Abi started before Severide rolled his eyes and tickled her making her jump up from his knee.

"Don't" Andy cut Abigail off and pointed at her, Abi held her hands up in mock surrender.

"I'm gonna go find Uncle Matt. I'll catch you guys later" She waved at the rest of the guys sat on the table before walking towards the double doors that lead to the common room.

"You alright bud?" Severide turned to Lucas and asked returning to his card game.

"Yeah, she's just far too energetic" Lucas grinned as he watched his twin sister practically jumped through the doors. The twins had also had a really close relationship, of course they had their occasional sibling disagreement. Especially when Luke had aced a test that Abi couldn't understand. Abi had struggled with her academics and was more into jumping jacks than Calculus and Science.