Chapter 26: A KING'S DESIRE

Two handmaids entered my room with fresh towels and new sets of clothes. Looking at their timid eyes, I sat quietly as I sat on my bed flipping the pages of a book. Then I darted my eyes to the window, never did I think of locking it again. I've spent hours waiting for someone to jump through it since last night --- noone came.

'My Lady, we have brought a dress hand-picked by the prince, shall we start preparing you for the gathering?' the girl said sheepishly. The other handmaid opened the box and plunged her hand inside, then pulled a beautiful dress, white as ice with bright gems that gleamed like starlight with accents of blue by the hem and soft blue lines running like many channels of water. She drew the gown, v necked ankle length dress with sleeves thin enough to see the wearer's skin, it was simple and modest, though the fitting emphasizes the curves of a woman and exposes much of the neck down mid-chest, it meant to turn heads. 'And these too...'

I was stunned to see the jewels Aramis sent, necklace of white sparkling gems and jewels for my hair. He really intended to make me look like a princess, I thought, I felt it was too much.

Half past seven in the evening, the party started. I could tell by the sound of lively music playing nearby. The girls started to dress me up, standing in front of a looking glass, I saw a young woman, dark hair, lavender eyes, slender arms. I cannot remember the last time I saw myself in the looking glass and it felt like I am seeing a different woman now.

Rarely smiles, her eyes fierce, her eyes seemed to have gleamed darker. The woman that stood before me had a shadow of a girl she had been in the past seven days, hunted, imprisoned, betrayed, insulted.

I slipped on the dress, one girl arranged my hair presentably but I refused to wear a headress. It just doesn't suit me. She spun a roller to give my hair soft curls then let it fall down my back. Then she locked the necklace around my neck. I felt stupid, if only I could refuse all these.

An hour passed, the girls had left. I wonder what would make me more anxious, seeing the elf or the family of the man who dared to love me. Finally, a knock came and two guards escorted me to the halls. The hallway was almost empty. I hurried behind them with hands clasped together. 'Where is Aramis?' I asked.

'The Prince is waiting at the party, my lady,' the guard responded with a smile.

I was quite disappointed he didn't fetch me himself, I could've had a little more courage. The guards led me down the hallway then to the common room, the palace's lobby, there were at least two hundred guests, everyone wearing their bests and all enjoying the loud music of lyre and trumpets and drums. Cold suddenly crept all over me and I suddenly felt a sudden urge to go back. I had to climb down the stairs to get to party. Watching my shoes on the red carpet, I lifted the hem of my dress and made small careful steps. Midway, I noticed a few paused and watched me with curiosity. My cheeks were burning, I am too shy to raise my chin. I struggled down the stairs trying to keep myself together, until ---

'Safirah,' Aramis stepped in and quickly caught me. 'Is there still you in that dress?' His smile was remarkably dashing.

'Still me, I suppose.'

Aramis offered his arm and I was quick to hold onto. He wore a red sash, black and deep blue prince-like outfit with a stiffened high collar, clean shaven and his brown hair hanging naturally. 'Come, the King cannot wait to see you.'

I looked around looking for someone, Legolas, but he was not around, not even Gimli. Aramis pulled me close holding my hands as we moved between the crowd. It was a terrible feeling knowing everyone was staring at us, I was melting. 'Aramis, do we really have to see your father?'