Chapter 10: Another Step Forward

Start from the beginning

"But of course it didn't end very well because I wanted that dog, and dad wouldn't let me. We didn't have the time nor the money to keep one other family member so I had to let it go." I chuckled sadly. "Otherwise, I would have gained myself another friend that time. It was a good thing it didn't happen though, because my dad married Carrie a few months later, and then I would have to share him with Lilla and Lina. With their personalities, I'm sure they would scare him to death first. He was only a puppy, this small, like tiny," I used my hands to measure the length, "and super, super cute."

He covered his mouth, holding back a laugh. "Did you realise you just spoke in a super squeaky voice?"

"Oh."

He finally let out the laugh. "Just look at your face and ears!"

I tried to cover them with the leash still in my hand. "Stop it! My voice does that when I'm excited about something, okay? It's called fangirling, or something like that." Even though I did just get a little high over how adorable a puppy was.

He looked thoughtful for a moment, still grinning. "I know just what to call you now."

I sighed. "What is it this time?"

"Beetroot!"

Seeming to have heard him, Luky suddenly stopped and turned, staring up at Jarell with her face tilted to one side. Both of us froze in our places. She walked towards him, tail wagging, seeming to want to receive a pet from him. Jarell backed away a few paces before Luky stopped again, then turned back front, pulling me towards the direction of Clar. This time, it was my turn to call him something: a paper. We reached Clar before I could even ask him about his bad experience with dogs. That would have to wait for another time.

~*

That day, I had never been more glad to reach home. It was funny, because I had felt reluctant to leave Madam Clar behind along with the few animal friends I'd made. It was easy to forget those sad feelings, though, when I had Jarell tell me his experience, of how he got chased around by a dog before when he was a kid and how because of it, he had cynophobia. After which, he'd began to think up of more names for me. Beetroot didn't seem to suit me as much as he thought at first. I had to endure another round of having to control my facial expressions, but mostly, I just felt peaceful inside. That feeling slowly faded as I realised how late it had gotten. What if Carrie was home early? Lilla and Lina? What kind of excuse could I possibly give?

I thought of asking Jarell to head inside to help me take a look around, but what use was there when they were home and already know that I was gone?

"I highly doubt anyone's home now."

I barely heard him when I opened the door tentatively. Seeing that the shoe rack by the side was still empty from their shoes, I heaved a sigh of relief.

"I'm home," I called as I walked in.

Jarell shook his head. "I still don't know why you keep doing that. It isn't like anyone's going to welcome you here."

"Good observation, genius." I paused as I removed my shoes, thinking how I should probably give them a wipe later. "It's just a habit that my dad drilled into me, that's all."

"Even though he wasn't around often?"

"Yep."

He frowned. "Why? Wouldn't it just make you feel more alone?"

"He said mom might be around to welcome me home, so..."

Jarell looked around. "I don't see any other ghost except myself."

"Are you even capable of seeing other ghosts beside yourself?"

"No."

"Thought so."

I left him in the living room while I showered, finally having some alone time. As I let the water flow, I thought back to what happened earlier. That laughter. It really did feel good. It was all the reason I needed to go back to Clar's this weekend. Even Lillian and Becca had invited me warmly, telling me that there would be many other volunteers around. I didn't know how, but I had this feeling they could tell that I was a loner. Which part of me showed that? The expression Jarell said I always wore? How I hadn't laughed at all until Bill got me? Did that show how lonely I was? I shook my head. Maybe it was just the fact that I went alone, and on a weekday too, when people my age would have gone for movies after school instead with friends. I could tell, though, that Lillian and Becca were genuinely nice people, and they didn't treat me well just because they pitied me.

Dinner was a time for Jarell and I to go over what we had to do next. The paper was right there in front of us, and a tick was placed beside 'making friends' but not 'laugh' because, according to him, that was only once.

"You'll continue going to volunteer there."

I didn't need anymore convincing, so I said, "Okay, as long as we're careful. Once a week from next week onwards will be good."

Jarell's eyes widened in shock. "Are you serious?"

I nodded. "It was the best choice to have gone there. Thank you... for talking sense into me. I really enjoyed my time."

He grinned, looking a little embarrassed. "Oh, hey, beetroot is back again."

I covered my face and ears again on instinct and groaned. "So what next?"

"Well, the more you go to Clar's the more you'll be defying your stepmother, so that's taking another step. Making more time for yourself... we'll have to think of more ways to do this. You can't possibly just have one day off and call that enough time."

I frowned at him. "Time is an issue, you know."

He widened his eyes again, this time in mock innocence. "You do know that another petal is turning gold today, right? Time is always an issue."

I raised my chin towards the ceiling. "I hate it when you do that," I said through gritted teeth. "But how are we going to? My stepmother and stepsisters will realise sooner or later. I don't think helping me, only to let them find out and get me into trouble will cut it."

Jarell sighed, understanding the situation. "Okay, fine. Make it two times a week then."

I was about to retort, but thinking of the situation I was in, I agreed.

-----------------------------------------

That poem up there is posted up as another version in my poetry book 'In Short'. I've also decided to post up another poem in chapter 7. :)