Chapter 4: Constant Denial

Chapter 4

As promised, I let Jarell did what he wanted: to lounge on the sofa of the living room while I swept, mopped, wiped and washed (according to the instructions given to me, there were three laundry days every week). I told him that in the meantime, since he was as much in this as I was – more so for him – he should make good use of his time to think of ways of how he could really help. I hoped he was reflecting properly; I'd caught him staring off with a glazed look a couple of times now.

When I was moving back to the living room from Lilla's to pick up her laundry basket, I caught him doing it again. "Jarell." I deliberately stood in front of him. He raised his eyes slowly to mine. "Stop daydreaming."

His gaze cleared in that moment, and those blue eyes immediately widened. "Hey, you're finally stepping closer."

I hadn't realised that either, but I took that as a good sign actually, daring to go closer. Since he was going to be sticking around for a while more, I had to start getting used to his presence even though I didn't want to – I kept thinking he was going to play some tricks on me when I wasn't focusing. And him as a ghost with supposed supernatural powers? Not very assuring.

"If you're trying to change the subject, it's not going to work."

"What?" he asked, genuinely confused.

"What are you thinking about?"

He huffed. "Seriously? Just wanting to live again. Can you imagine? I haven't eaten for more than twelve hours and I'm not even feeling hungry." He glanced at the clock on the wall beside him. "And it's almost dinner. You're still not done?"

"Welcome to my life," I said sarcastically as I walked away. "I'm almost done; just left with this pile of laundry to do. Try to focus, Jarell."

"Yeah, yeah."

Fifteen minutes later, I was finally getting my dinner ready. Tonight, it was macaroni with chicken soup and vegetables. I'd even fried some breaded chicken to eat by the side. Thankfully, Jarell stayed outside, allowing me a moment of respite. He only joined me when I was sitting at the dining table and starting to eat, a look of longing on his face.

"Want some?" I asked innocently, hoping to get him to lighten up a little. It's better being with the normal Jarell than this brooding one.

Jarell groaned just as he gestured to the chair beside mine and I nodded, giving him permission.

"Oh, wait, you can't eat living people food. I just remembered."

I prepared to laugh, but he went ahead and snapped, "Don't fool with me."

I tutted. "You've got to admit this is extremely mild compared to the things you and your friends did to me."

He leaned back against his seat with arms crossed. Clearly, he was reluctant to get there.

Although I hadn't planned on having our conversation turn towards this direction, seeing his reaction fuelled me to. Avoiding the subject didn't mean that it hadn't happened before, and it obviously didn't mean we were going to start thinking that I'd forgiven him for everything he'd done with the twins now that he's half-dead.

"Shall I list down some of the things I've had to endure since the beginning of you and your friends? Yes? No?" Not giving him a chance to reply, I continued, "We were spring cleaning in one of the random classrooms our class was assigned to." I used my metal fork to stab a macaroni. "Just as I was returning to the classroom from the toilet, you guys poured the pail of dirty water all over me, making it look like an accident." I leaned forward. "Whose idea was it, I wonder?" Yours, Jarell. I knew long ago he was the mastermind behind most of the pranks. He seemed to be the smartest one out of the four... and maybe the rest of his clique in other classes. And that said a lot.