About ten minutes later, I was about halfway between sleep and awake.  I heard a noise that sounded like someone lying down beside me and then a voice close to my ear.

“I promise that I will get us out of here.  Whatever it takes, Rea, I promise I will.”

It sounded like Will, but I was so close to sleep that I could have been dreaming it.  I felt something touch my face gently, something that felt like a kiss.  I smiled slightly.  And right before I drifted off to sleep, I thought I heard him whisper something else, but I couldn’t tell what it was.

The next morning, after no strange dreams, something that had happened was trying to come back to me.  I remembered Will whispering something to me, but maybe it was just a dream.  I couldn’t remember what he had said.  I sat up and put my hand to my head as a wave of dizziness overcame me.  I didn’t know why, though.

“Are you okay?” I heard Will ask from behind me.

“Yeah, I guess,” I said.  “I probably just sat up too fast.”

“No weird dreams or anything?” he asked, a slight smile on his face.

I rolled my eyes.  “No, thank goodness,” I said.  “But before I went to sleep…”

A look of panic came on his face for just a slight second before he composed it.  “What do you mean?” he asked, his voice shaking a little.

“Did you say something to me before I fell asleep last night?” I asked after a few moments of silence.

Will paused and his eyes widened for a split second before he got control over it.  “No,” he said a second later, and then looked away into the trees.

I knew he was lying.  Why was he acting the way he was if he didn’t say anything to me?  I was going to get it out of him some other way.

“Are you sure?  Because I remember hearing you say something, but I can’t remember what it was,” I said.

“I’m sure you would remember what I said if I had actually said something to you, even if it was important or unimportant,” he said, looking back at me.

“Then why won’t you tell me anything you said?  I know you said something.  I remember that much,” I said.

“Because it was unimportant,” he said, looking away again.  “Plus, you wouldn’t believe me even if I told you, so I’m just not going to tell you.”

“Try me.”

“No.”

“Please?” I asked, looking up into his eyes. 

Maybe I could get it out of him this way.  He stared into my eyes just as intensely as I was staring into his.  A weird feeling started in the pit of my stomach.

“I…” he started to say, but at that exact moment, Remy came back with all of the bottles in her arms.  She must have gone a little ways away to fill them up, though I had no idea why.  I sighed, wishing she would have come back just a few moments later, so I could have heard what he had said.

“Are we ready?” she asked.

“Don’t lose your backpack today,” Will said, standing up.

Remy glared at him.  “Shut up,” she said, and turned on her heel to grab her backpack. 

After we broke camp, we started walking.  The three of us were kind of in our own little worlds, thinking about different things. 

My mind went to the day before.  Just yesterday, I thought that Will was going to kiss me.  And not accidentally.  My heart had been pounding when he was that close to me, tracing my lips with his thumb.  What happened between us felt way more than just friendship.