"Not very, yet, but word is spreading that we're giving away food to the town's folk, that we've lowered their taxes. By the time this news ends up in the south, it's warped and twisted. They think that we're protecting the rich by mooching off the villages. It's not looking good. And they've started receiving care packages from King Lukas . . . They're trying to start a civil war."

"Then we must go to them and clear it up, show them that we support them."

"No, it is time to show strength. Emile has been indecisive. We've been passive for far too long and now we've got an arrogant boy expanding on our territory."

"Do you think it's because of me?"

Kaiden looked at her suddenly, the green in his eyes had faded somewhat, covered by a grey haze. "No—well, actually yes. I think he wants to keep you safe as long as he can, and if we go on the offensive, well—it is only a matter of time until you're not..."

Aurelie spotted Nic staring at her from across the of the walkway and gave him the sweetest smile she could muster. Oooh, your death is going to be long and painful, she thought and waved innocently. I'm going to char the meat from your bones.

"I don't know how much my word counts," she said and stood up, "but I'll agree that we must go on the offense. The faster the better. I'll go to those villages myself if I have to."

Nic's hair was still shaved almost right up to his scalp, and he wore the Redayran colors, blue and white. His foreign beauty still towed at her, but he had grown uglier since the last time she saw him, purely for his deeds.

She couldn't very well tug at her dress in front of Kaiden, so she walked over with confidence instead, hoping that she looked her very best. Her gown had been the grandest at the ball. The skirt twirled in mounting layers, and the low cut corset made it look like she actually had breasts, good and perky ones at that.

Nic met her halfway and took her hand once he reached her. Aurelie bowed her head and clenched her jaw as he put his wet lips on her hand, feeling her nostril stretch in a flare.

Michael caught her eye, sitting on the very same bench, but with food and girls around him, and a drink in hand. He tipped his glass in her direction, and smiled cunningly, shaking his head at her reaction to Nic.

"I'm so happy you could make it," she said once he looked up.

"I was a little surprised to receive the invitation."

"Oh, why is that?" Aurelie cocked her head.

"Well, I didn't think you'd marry anyone but Kirin. Has that ended then?" He could have stuck a knife into her stomach and it would have hurt less than hearing him say Kirin's name. The flecks of green and blue in his eyes made him look treacherously heavenly.

"Oh, God knows where he is," she said clenching her jaw. The momentary change in her expression caused some concern, but he swept it away quickly. The fake indifference was possibly a little too obvious. "I can't think of that right now, not with what's happening on our border." She looked at his unchanged expression. "It's heartless, I know but the kingdom won't save itself."

Nic gently took her wrist and scowled. "You're certainly singing a different tune."

Her muscles ached to pull away from him, but she pushed through the revulsion of his acidic touch. "I'm in a different position now." She gave him a sharp and diplomatic look. "My circumstances have changed. Heavy is the head," she said smiling weakly.

"And if by some miracle he is returned in one piece?" His brows furrowed in question.

Aurelie took his wrist, brushing her finger along the bump of his vein. "No one will let me marry him and I'm in no position to argue."