c h a p t e r ♤ 17

Yoona's POV

"Yoona!" My mother exclaims happily as I enter the house.

"Hi, umma!" I smile, walking over to her side and sitting down next to her.

"I'll take your bags up to your room, Yoona," My father says, slinging my backpack on his shoulder.

"Oh, no, appa. I can do that myself," I protest, standing up.

"Aniya, talk to your mother, catch up with her," He says, waving his hand. I frown, but do as he says.

"How's school?" My mother asks.

"I'm doing well, I think at least," I say.

"Alright, that's good," She nods. "How's Joohyun and Yuri?"

"It's Seohyun, umma, and they're doing great. Both of them have boyfriends."

"Oh, that reminds me, when are you going to get one?"

"Umma, I'm in high school!"

"So? Who knows how long I'm gonna be alive for? I'd like to die knowing you're in good hands."

I frown. "Don't talk like that, mom."

"I'm just joking. But I would like to see you with a boy sometime soon," She sighs.

I sigh. "Yeah."

"Anyways, I'm cooking your favorite for dinner," She says, standing up and moving to stove.

"Of course, your father was helping me, but he tends to trail off after the 3rd step of cooking, you know how he is," She says as she stirs the pot.

"But you know, I put up with him. After I'm gone, he can't just live off of ramen noodles, right? Gotta teach him some of the basics hopefully before it's too late."

"Umma?"

She turns to me. "Hm?"

"Do you think there's no hope for you? You can get treatments, it's not over yet. You shouldn't-"

"Yoona. They caught it too late," She says, settling down next to me. "Treatment can't help it now. Even if we could afford it. Trust me, Yoona, I didn't want to believe it myself."

I felt the tears forming up in my eyes. "It's not far," I rasped out. 

"Life isn't fair, sweetie. There's going to be mishaps and mess ups. The things is, you gotta know how to deal with those mess ups and mishaps. It's life," She shrugs.

"Life sucks," I grumble. She chuckles.

"Tell me about it. I'm one with the cancer."

She reaches out and wipes the tears from my eyes.

"Something else bothering you? I can see it in your eyes," She says. I slightly part my lips and try to think of an excuse. But nothing can fool umma.

"It's, uhm, boy trouble," I say, closing my eyes, feeling a stray tear fall out.

"Oh, sweetie. What happened?" She asks, pulling me closer to her.

"Well, right from when I started school back here in Korea, there was this guy. We kinda argued at first but then after a lot of annoyance and convincing, I started dating him. I promised myself not to fall for him, because he's one of those boys, but he kept being so sweet to me and so sincere, I ended up letting him in."

"We were finally official for one month and there were rumors that it was impossible for him to date a girl for that long," I smile at the memory. I frown when I remembered the day. "And then I-I heard him. Talking with this girl, who I haven't seen around school. It turns out our relationship was just a lie," I cry, tears falling down my cheeks. "He never cared for me. Our relationship was based on a bet. A stupid bet. A bet that he could get me in a bed in a month or less. Why am I so stupid, umma?"

"Oh, sweetie, you're not stupid, don't tell yourself that. Now, what was that? A month or less?"

"Yeah," I nod, sniffling.

"But didn't you say you were finally official for one month though?"

Oh. "I-I-"

"Listen to what he has to say first, Yoona. Listen to his side of the story first. From the way it sounds, it seems like he had no intention of doing that to you after you got to know each other better. Well, I mean that bet was probably the reason why he was so persistent, but when you think about it, he lost his bet. Try talking to him."

"Later, umma. I don't think I can talk to him for a while without breaking down." I shake my head.

"Then you talk to him when you're ready. But let him explain his self," She says, kissing my forehead. I lean into her motherly touch and she soothes me and helps me feel better.

We soon eat dinner and before you know it, I'm back in my own room, my old bed. But I just can't sleep. I've been thinking about what umma said. Should I let him explain himself? He did lose his bet...But the reason he wanted to date me was because of that bet! Ugh, this is so confusing. I should just sleep this off, but I can't because I have all this consuming at my mind that I just can't fall asleep.

I pick up my phone, going through my contacts. I told Yuri earlier that I arrived safely at my parents' house and she replied that Sehun's going crazy, asking where I am. I sighed as I scrolled through the text conversation, re-reading it.

Just letting you know that I got to my parents' safely

Sehun's going crazy

Huh? Weh?

He's asking where you are.

Yul, don't tell him.

I know, but he looks so desperate.

I need time away from him before I can face him again.

I know. You need your time

I sigh, turning off my phone and snuggling up into my blankets, though I knew I wasn't going to sleep. It wasn't until 10 minutes later when I heard my phone ringing. I sat, up, checking the caller ID. It's Yuri. I wonder what she wants. I press the answer button and hold the phone up to my ear. Before I can speak, I hear Yuri sobbing on the other end. 

I frown, "Yul, what's wrong?"

The next few moments of her blubbering and I can barely understand her.

"Yuri, you need to calm down first. I can't understand what you're saying," I say patiently.

There's a few moments of silence before she rasps out words.

"Kai broke up with me."

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

school started and I didn't finish the last chapter oops

-abbie