Day 14: Ethan

There are people all around me as I walk through the grocery store, though it unnerved me, I wasn't fond of being in large crowds. I think though that I would feel more calm if Elena were here with me. But I know that can't happen, she cant be seen by the public, and they didn't deserve to see her.

But the only reason I was out here was for her.

She needed a few things and I thought about getting a treat for her, when we were little I remember that she always loved strawberry ice cream. Plus I was also thinking of making us dinner, I thought it would be nice to treat her since she's done so much for me.

This store wasn't so big, maybe the size of a gas station store, and it was family owned. But it had what we needed for what I was going to make, I just hoped she liked it. There were about ten other people in the store.

"Did you hear, apparently there was an escape from the local asylum about three weeks ago?" Comes a voice from the front of the store.

I stop in my tracks.

"Yeah, some kid that was brought there twelve years ago escaped. The deputy says that he's a tricky one, said to have killed his mother."

"Right, right." The other person agrees.

There's a scoff. "You'd think that they would have better security for a person that dangerous."

"Yeah you'd think so..." There is the rustling of some paper, "It seems that that's not the only thing that has been going on... apparently there's a girl that's gone missing from New York. It's a shame, she looks like such a pretty girl."

"Oh, what's the name?"

I hear my heart in my ears and I feel myself beginning to shake.

"Elena Preston,"

I bump into someone and apologize like I'm supposed to, but their words are lost to me as I make my way out of the store, forgetting the basket of groceries and heading out of the store and driving.

Just driving, not paying attention to where I was going, until I find a stretch of road that is empty, no cars were coming down the road and there was just an open field in front of me.

That's when the voices start inside of my head, those mocking, whispering voices.

You're such a failure... look at you, getting caught... you stupid boy!

"No I'm not... shut up!" I hit the steering wheel.

Now Elena is never going to want to stay with you... The voice hisses. She's going to see how much of a disappointment you are and then she's going to leave you once she has that figured out. The voice scoffs. She won't even want to look at you. 

"Stop it!"                   

The voice laughs.

My mother's voice.

Poor little Ethan, always the weakling, couldn't even get rid of me without getting caught you pathetic-

"Shut up!" I smash my hand against the car door window, and the voice finally goes quiet. As if it had never been there in the first place.

Almost painfully silent.

I pull my hand back from the glass, finding that I'd put some cracking in the glass, the design spiderwebbing out slightly, the cracks filled with the crimson of my blood. The side of my hand was open, the wound streaming little rivers of blood.

I take off the jacket I was wearing and rip off the part of my sleeve and wrap it around the wound.

I roll down the window of the car and head on my way down the road, along the way there was a small shack that was selling flowers among other things, I picked out a bunch of sunflowers since they reminded me of her.

The image of her smiling flashing through my head, her clouded brown eyes just looking slightly off of me. This thought would help calm me, the voice was wrong, that smile could never leave me.

The owner did ask if I was alright upon seeing my hand, I told her that I'd accidentally shut my hand in a door earlier and was on my way home.

  It'll all be okay now... I'm sure there was enough food at the house to make what I want to make for her.

I look at the sunflowers in the next seat.

Everything was going to be perfect.

***

Almost an hour later I finally arrive back at the house, well the path down the road anyways, the entrance was hardly noticeable unless you knew where to look and then the house was about a mile down the road.

And thirty minutes later I arrive in front of the old farm house, where there was a barn and the flowers I'd planted out front for Elena, the white porch swing swaying lightly in the breeze.

But that's not what caught my attention.

It was Elena out front in one of the dresses that I'd recently bought her, standing in front of a man who was holding her arms, she looked distressed trying to tell the man something, she was shaking her head quickly.

The ring on her finger shimmering brightly as she struggled against the man's grasp.

I climb out of the car and see nothing but red.

***

Hello Everyone! I know that it's been a while since I updated and I apologize for this chapter being so short. But I thought it would be interesting to do at least one chapter in Ethan's point of view! Well that's all for now! As always, don't forget to comment, vote, and share! I appreciate it! Until the next time! ^_^/

The song above is titled The Zoo by Zack Hemsey from his album: Ronin.

-Flowereader230