Day 10

The next morning I wake up to find that Ethan was still asleep beside me after passing out last night. I took the chance to get up early, and by the sound of the birds it was really early. So now I was beginning to fix breakfast, a couple of omelettes. 

It had been a couple of minutes and he still hadn't woken up. I take the omelettes off of the  stove and set them on a plate. 

Maybe I should stake out the rest of the house...

Since finding out about the library, I've suspected that the house was much bigger than Ethan let on. I didn't know by how much though. 

I carefully work my way around the room, feeling the bumps and ridges along the wall and instead of heading towards the library (I'd already explored down that way and there was nothing but other doors that were locked and the library itself), I now decided to work down past the sitting area. 

On my way in I bumped into a couple pieces of furniture. But once I got past that it was pretty much smooth sailing, the hallway was long and I passed a couple of doors all of which were locked. 

No surprise there. 

How long is this hallway?

My question is soon answered when I run into something, I have to swallow the slight yelp that wanted to come out. Ignoring the slight throbbing of my foot, I run my hands along the structure.

It's a railing...

I feel myself around the bar and eventually feel the steps.

What could be up there?

There has to be a reason he hasn't told me about the rest of the house, what could he be hiding. And If he is indeed dangerous as I think he is it could possibly be something that I would not find favorable.

Suddenly, I hear Ethan's vitals begin to speed up, he was beginning to wake up.

Damn!

I work myself around the stairs again feeling along the walls and then quickly work myself back to the kitchen. Listening out to see if he'd begun to stir anymore than that, by the sound of it he was just beginning to open his eyes. Somehow, miraculously making back to the kitchen without bumping into anything.

I take some breaths to try and steady my heart beat at least a little bit, I open the fridge and pull out the pitcher of juice. The cold glass beneath my hands sends a shiver up through me, condensation beginning to form from my touch.

"Elena!" comes Ethan's voice from down the hall, it sounded panicked, almost painfully so. This was soon followed by the banging of what I know to be the door to the room I occupied, soon followed by hurried footsteps. "Elena!" Shouts his voice again, the anxiety straining his voice only seeming to get worse.

I place the pitcher on the counter beside the plates carefully.

He enters the room. "El-" his voice stops midway as he enters the room.

"What's wrong, Ethan?"

His arms wrap around me and he only mutters one thing, my name, over and over. We stay like this for several minutes until he finally speaks again. "I thought someone had gotten you... I woke up and you were gone,"

If only that were true...

"No, just cooking breakfast. I didn't see the point in waking you up,"

"Next time wake me, although I love that you like to cook... I would rather you not disappear like that from now on." Although his voice still soft, there was still a undercurrent of a threat that couldn't be missed. I feel his thumb and his forefinger go to my chin and raise my head to have me look up at him I suppose. "Okay?"