Chapter 26 "A Midsummer Nightmare"

There was something about a summers day that was so special. It was hot, the sun beamed down on us mercilessly but we didn't bother to care. There was no reason to as the cool water sprinkled down onto our skin.

"Get my hair wet and I will kill you." I threatened Justin as he came near me with his palms filled with water.

"I'm won't, I promise." I moved away from him in the water and watched him wearily.

"I don't trust-" He threw the water in my face while my mouth was open and he burst in laughter.

I spat the water out and wiped my face. "I will murder you in this pool."

"I'd like to see you tr-" I grabbed him and pulled him underwater. I watched him sputter and flail with a victorious grin on my face.

"What were you going to say?" I teased as he resurfaced.

The pool rocked for a moment as Merissa climbed up the three steps and hopped in. "Can she swim?" I asked Justin.

"Never swam in her life." Justin said with wide eyes.

I reached underwater and grabbed her, pulling her to the surface. She coughed and then grinned at me. "Let's not do that again."

She giggled and I smiled at her, helping her float in the water. "This pool is great. Where'd you get it?"

"We had it from a long time ago," I answered and moved around in the water. "Can you swim to your brother?"

I slowly let go of her hips and watched her paddle towards Justin with determination set into her face. Justin caught her and lifted her up into the air with a victory cheer.

I sighed and sunk lower into the water. This was great. I heard some splashes to my right and felt Justin's leg brush against mine. "You remember when we met?"

I hummed and smiled. "How could I forget? Arrogant people make an impression. Not a good one, though."

He gasped. "I'm not arrogant."

I glanced at him in disbelief. "What did you bring it up for?"

"Oh, yeah. Remember in the library we made that bet?" He asked.

"Merissa, be careful," I warned her as she prepared to go underwater. "Yeah, I remember that."

"Well, I won. I finished those books and the entire series, too." He jutted his chin up in a confident manner and I raised an eyebrow.

"When did you find time to finish that entire series?"

"During breaks at work and after Merissa goes to sleep." He listed and I nodded.

"Uh huh. Give me a summary of the series in less than two minutes. Start." I ordered and Justin perked up, immediately blabbering about the series.

"So, Vlad is 1/4 vampire and he totally sucks at it but then this guy Diablo tries to kill him so he has to step up his game. His uncle sends him to Russia to train with this guy he knows when Vlad realizes his hunger is getting stronger. Then there's this kid who's totally convinced that Vlad's a vampire and almost gets himself killed trying to get evidence. Fast forward a bit and Vlad's best friend has this cousin who comes to live with him but the guy is secretly a vampire hunter which sets off a whole bunch of events-"

"Okay, shut up," His cheeks reddened a bit and I smiled. "Congratulations, I understand you read the series. Did you like it?"

He cleared his throat and nodded. "Yeah, it was really cool."

"Feel free to let your geek out again. It's cute." I mumbled.

"Okay." He whispered.

I swam towards Merissa to get rid of the overwhelming feeling of cuteness. "Hey, want to play a game?"