Chapter 19 "Bad Days Suck"

You know I love you, right?

I was awoken to these words, startled awake by the sudden realization that what happened yesterday was 100% real.

"Shit, what time is it?" I cursed as I scrambled for my phone. It read 10:38 and I jumped out of bed.

Or, at least, attempted to. Disoriented and in a hurry, I failed to realize my leg was tangled in the sheets and tripped, falling straight on my face.

I groaned and lifted myself off of the floor. "I'm fine, my nose is not broken." I muttered to myself.

Ignoring the sensitivity in my nose, I held my nose closed as I picked out a cute orange turtle neck to wear with some jeans. I shoved my feet in my shoes and ran downstairs.

"Good morning," My mom said.

"Morning." I chirped nasally as I grabbed my car keys.

"Where are you going?" She yelled as I made my way to the door.

"Somewhere I need to be!" I yelled back, shuffling out the door.

I opened my car door and stuck the key in the ignition. My car sputtered and coughed causing me to curse. "Come on, fucking bastard!!!"

It gave a loud cough that slowly died out. "No, no. I'm sorry, I didn't mean it." I turned the key one more time and it didn't respond.

"Fine, be like that." I released my hand from my nose when I felt like it was safe and got out the car.

I stuck my car keys in my pocket and fixed my shoes correctly. I guess I'll have to walk. I started my trek to Justin's house. I stuck my cold nose in the neck of my shirt and crossed the street.

Halfway through the walk, I spotted a large murky puddle on the side of the street with a tiny frog bathing in it. Getting distracted, I watched it for a little bit, completely oblivious of the loud engine coming my way. Before I could react, the car drove straight through the puddle and sprayed me with dirty water.

"You asshat!!!" I yelled as they drove away laughing.

I whined pathetically as I looked down at my now damp and dirty clothes. I wiped my hands on my jeans, shivering at how the cold seeped in my wet clothes. "Damn it..." I muttered.

I didn't want to walk back to my house so I kept walking. It wasn't that bad. I looked up at the cloudy sky and bit my lip. I hope it didn't rain. I sped up and crossed the street again. I was lost in my own thoughts and walked as I watched my feet hit the ground.

There was a loud bark and I froze. Oh no. I slowly turned and saw a huge Rottweiler making its way down the street, staring directly at me. I looked at the sky for any sign of remorse but got my response as it barked then growled. "Really? You do this to me today?"

I took a step backwards as it approached. My heart lurched as it bared its teeth in warning. This is not good. It was within 6 feet and I inhaled sharply as it barked again. It snapped its jaws and something in me went into fight or flight so...I ran.

A mistake, obviously. I'm no track runner, after all. My heart thundered in my chest as my feet hit the ground one after another, matching the paws of the dog behind me. I gritted my teeth and turned down another street with a sharp turn. I'm almost to Justin's house. Just one more block.

The dog was barely nipping at my heels and I pushed myself harder. Concluding, I wasn't going to make it, I leaped over the nearest fence with all strength. I ended up on the cold muddy damp ground, gasping for air.

"I-I did it. I survived..." I whispered, laughing slightly at the dog barking on the other side of the fence.

I heaved myself up and flipped off the dog. I walked across the strangers yard and continued making my trek to Justin's house. When I saw his house, I blew out a breath and smiled. "I made it."