Chapter 10 "Curious Brown Eyes"

As I walked through the school hallway towards my locker, I noticed the whispers and curious gazes directed towards me. I bit my lip and shifted my book bag on my shoulder as I saw Cameron leaning on my locker waiting for me.

He saw me and got off of it. "Good morning."

"'Morning." I whispered, glancing around before opening my locker.

"Oh, I forgot. You gotta keep a low profile. My bad." I rolled my eyes and took out my books.

"What do you want?"

"Actually," My locker was slammed closed just as my fingers escaped harms way. "I need to ask you something."

I turned to him and bit down the string of curse words bubbling up my throat. "And you couldn't wait? You almost cut my fu-" I cut myself off and sighed deeply.

"What do you want?" He looked extremely amused with a bright twinkle in his amused eyes.

"Do you think you could be my tutor?" I blinked at him.

"No." His smile dropped off of his face and my mouth twitched in response.

"Why not?" I shrugged and sidestepped him.

"I have too much on my plate now right now," It was the truth. I taught Merissa English after school, helped Justin around the house, worked on the project with Justin, and volunteered on the side. If I tutored Cameron, I would have no time for myself, my family, or...them. "Why do you need tutoring, anyway? You just got here."

"That's exactly the problem. I just got here. I missed a whole week and a half of curriculum." He complained as he walked beside me.

I didn't respond until we got to our first class. We were very early so we were the first ones there. "Where did you move from?"

"Australia but I wasn't born there. Hence the reason why I don't have the accent. My parents jobs cause them to move around a lot."

"Ah, the cliche 'my parents move around a lot' story. That's cool, though. Not about moving around a lot but the fact that you lived in a foreign place." He raised an eyebrow at me and I smiled.

"What?"

"You're weird. Girls would normally be screaming right now about the fact that I'm not from here." I rolled my eyes for the second time this morning.

"Is that supposed to be a compliment or something?" He shrugged and grinned at me.

"I don't know. Did you take it as a compliment?" I did not return his smile. The bell rung and students piled in the room. It suddenly came to me that I didn't get to see Justin this morning and I frowned. I'll just have to say hi later.

-

"Justin..." I whined as I pulled at the pillow he was buried under. Merissa giggled on the couch and continued to watch.

"Leave me alone." His muffled voice came through and his grip on his blanket became tighter.

"I'm sorry. I swear I didn't mean it. I was just so busy today." I apologized for the seventh time today but he couldn't be that mad. I mean, he let me in the house.

He pulled down the covers and glared at me. "Yeah, busy with Cameron." He spat.

I sighed and sat on the couch. "Are you kidding me? Cameron has nothing to do with anything. I was going to come see you today regardless and you know that so what are you getting jealous for?"

He huffed and his glare wavered. "I'm not jealous. He just makes me uneasy. I already told you this."

"Merissa, I think your brother needs a hug. Come over here." She got up and practically jumped on him and he groaned loudly while I laughed.