Chapter 2 "De Nada"

"Justin?"

He was knocked out of his stupor and his face contorted into a look of amusement and confusion. "Did you just curse?"

"And if I did?" I said raising an eyebrow.

"Wow..." He dragged out the word to emphasize his surprise.

"Can you get the fuck out of the way? I need to get to the table." When he didn't, I pushed past him and set down my books.

"The quiet girl that always sits in the back just cursed, not once but twice. Just wait until I tell-"

"They won't believe you." I interrupted him, looking through the books that I picked.

"What do you mean? Of course, they'll believe me."

"Keep thinking that." I said rolling my eyes.

"Wha-"

"Why did you come here in the first place? You're disrupting the peaceful atmosphere." I said cutting him off once again.

"I like books." He mumbled.

I let out a snort. "Prove it."

He glanced over at my pile of books and smiled. "Give a book to read that you've read and when I finish I'll give you a detailed report on it. You can even ask questions."

I crossed my arms over my chest. "That doesn't prove anything."

"Give me two books." He challenged.

I quietly examined his determined posture and sighed. I went over to the supernatural section and picked out the first two books from my favorite series, The Chronicles Of Vladimir Tod. "You have a month and a half. I'll question you when you're done."

"I'll do it in 3 weeks and a half. Maybe less." While I was turned away from him, I smiled. Hm, maybe he isn't lying.

I carried the books I chose to the counter and waited as the employee checked me out. My eyes looked over at where I just was and they widened in disbelief. Justin had already started on the first book. His face was relaxed but his eyes were trained on the book, reading intensely.

"Ma'am?" I turned back to the employee named Maggie and apologized.

"It's quite alright. These are due at the end of month." I nodded and grabbed my books.

"They'll be on time." She smiled at me as I left, glancing back at Justin one last time.

--------

"Hola, mami." I heard Justin say in his Hispanic accent.

"I have a name." I mumbled as I sat down next to him.

"Destiny, right?" He smirked and I scowled at him.

"If you know it then use it." I growled under my breath.

"I don't want to." I ignored him and planned out our project. He probably wasn't going to help anyway.

I stole a glance at him and found him scribbling in his notebook. After a few minutes, curiosity got the better of me and I leaned over to see what he was writing.

My mouth parted in surprise when I saw that he was writing the names of flowers. "What are you doing...?"

He was so focused that he didn't notice me. "I'm writing down the names of all the flowers I know so that I can pick one."

"Wow. You know more than I thought you would." I mumbled under my breath but he heard me.

He let out an appalled gasp, making a smile appear on my face. "You think that I'm stupid?"

"You said it, not me." I said sitting back down in my seat.

"You're pretty cool, you know." He said after awhile.

"Trust me. I get a whole lot cooler if you stick around." I saw a twinkle of curiosity in his eyes as I smiled again.

"If that's the case then why don't you talk more? I'm pretty sure you'd be really popular if you did."

"More attention comes with more responsibilities which often results in drama." I explained briefly.

"I don't have drama around me."

I raised an eyebrow. "You are a walking drama."

He blew out air from between his lips. "I have zero drama tolerance."

I snorted softly. "Tell that to your fans."

He leaned forward, intrigued. "Oh? Have you been watching me?"

I rolled my eyes at his cockiness. "No, you're just loud. I'm not surprised if everyone knows your business."

"I'm not that loud." He muttered.

I ignored him and continued working. I suddenly felt a finger poke my side and I inhaled sharply. I glared at him but he was looking intensely at his notebook.

I huffed and continued working. In the middle of my sentence, my pen veered off course when I felt it again.

"Justin, I swear to God..." I whispered menacingly.

I heard him chuckle lowly and I sighed. Working with him was going to be a pain in the ass.

"Yo, Justin. I see you're having fun." A muscular arm draped itself over his shoulders and I sighed in irritation. Great, it's another one.

"What's up?" He said grinning up at the other boy.

"My partner is doing my project for me so I'm free for now." I scowled in disgust but let it drop for the sake of keeping it peaceful.

"I ain't never seen her around before. What's her name?" His attention was directed onto me and I shivered.

"Oh, her? That's Destiny." Yep, that's my name. Freaking use it, you bastard.

While they were talking, I decided to take in his friend's appearance. He had dark skin and bright light brown eyes. Definitely muscular. An athlete, maybe? And last, he was a pretty boy. I bet he had girls lined up around the corner.

A shadow loomed over my desk and I looked up in surprise. The guy was smiling brightly at me and had his hand extended. "Nice to meet you, Destiny. My name is Zay."

I hesitantly shook his hand. "Nice to meet you, too."

"What's a pretty girl like you working with a dumb nut like him?" He threw his thumb over his shoulder at Justin, who let out a laugh.

"Well, he's working. Unlike you." My lips turned up into a tiny smirk.

"Oh, she's got spunk. I like her. Can we adopt her into the crew?"  He asked Justin with a charming smile.

"That's up to her." He said holding up his head with his hand.

They both stared at me and I deadpanned at them. "No."

"Oh, come on. I promise they'll like you." The bell rung and I stood up grabbing my books.

"That's not what I'm concerned about. I like being not well known and I would like it to stay that way." I said before leaving and disappearing in the crowd, pushing my way to my next class.

When school ended, I practically ran outside to my car but to my luck, someone grabbed my arm before I could open the car door. "Destiny."

I turned around and saw Justin breathing slightly heavy. "Damn, you got some fast legs on you. I had to run to catch up to you."

"What do you want?" I asked pulling my arm out his grasp.

"Can we exchange phone numbers? We need to contact each other about the project." I sighed and held my hand out.

He placed his phone in my hand and I entered my number quickly. Before I gave it back, I asked him a quick question. "You promise you won't do anything stupid or text me about anything other than the project?"

He nodded eagerly and I gave him his phone back. I handed him mine and he entered his. "Gracias."

"De nada." I answered back, smirking. I quickly opened my car door and left.