Been A Long Day

Note: The final one shot :")

Everyone was safe now. Well, as safe as you could be while trapped in the Cordon. Jana, Suzy, Quentin, Teresa, Xander, and the baby were all safe. Lex was in the Cordon with us now too and Lohmers was in hot water with the government since she lied to everyone. As bad as it was, it seemed right...and that maybe things were looking up for once. Walking through the halls of the hospital, it felt empty - like there wasn't any life left here but Jake's hand in mine warmed my heart and made everything feel better, somehow.

It's been a long day

As he led me up the steps to the rooftop, all of the memories of these past few days swirled in my head - both the bad and the good.

And all I've got to say is make it strong

All of the deaths as well as the birth of the first baby born in the Cordon. The days when Quentin and his schoolmates would run down the halls, laughing and playing while Katie chased after them. And of course, the day I'd first met Jake here.

It's been a long day

He had been so hotheaded and stubborn but I'd fallen for him anyway.

And all I've got to say is I've been wrong

I never believed in love at first sight and to an extent, I still don't but with Jake, it was different. HE was different.

So take a leave of absence

The echoes of the past seemed to fill up the room and I could feel tears prick my eyes.

Tell me you'll be gone

All of them were gone now...

I don't want to see your face

But I would always remember. A squeak of a door snapped me out of my thoughts and I followed Jake out the door that led to the rooftop.

It's been a long day

Our footsteps crunched on the gravel as we walked out into the open air, hand-in-hand.

And I just want to hide away

My eyes drifted over to Jake and I bit my lip. The wind blew his short brown hair across his forehead as he pulled me closer to the edge. We stood there then and silence enveloped us as we watched the sun come up over the tops of the buildings. Jake ran his hand up and down my arm, giving me goosebumps where his skin touched mine.

It's been a long week

I burrowed deeper into his chest as he wrapped his other arm around me.

And all the lines come down heavy on me

I closed my eyes tiredly and breathed in the scent of him. I always felt safe when I was in his arms - like nothing could touch me.

It's been a long week

His chin rested on the top of my head as we looked out onto the ravaged city and memories came to me once more of all of the deaths we'd suffered.

I'm finally feeling like it's okay to break

Tears rolled down my cheeks at the thought of it all being over now, gone forever. I would miss everyone so much.

Into a thousand pieces

A sob escaped my mouth and I felt Jake's arms hold me tighter as my tears soaked his black t-shirt.

No one can replace

It was just me and Jake now, against this virus.

Only I can find my way

But we would find our way through it all. We always did. Finally, I lifted my head up and looked at Jake, so brave and so strong. I loved him so much.

It's been a long day and I just want to hideaway

"It's been a long day," I laughed humorlessly through my tears, "And I just want to hideaway."

He nodded wordlessly and brushed my tears away with his thumbs. Leaning down closer to me, his lips brushed across mine and I kissed him back passionately. I could feel the love radiating in his kiss and I melted into it. We moved in sync with each other and my heart felt lighter. He was everything to me, he always had been. And after all of this was over and finished, I would still have him to come back to.

Breaking away from him, I rested my forehead on his and gazed up into his piercing blue eyes once more.

"I love you, " I murmured against his lips.

He smiled down at me and brushed a strand of hair away from my face.

"I love you, too. Always." he said softly.

It's been a long year

A few months later, the Cordon was lifted. The virus had been cured and everyone was free to go now.

And everyone around me's disappeared

All of the dead were still being mourned and a memorial had been put up for them. There were so many names on the wall - Katie, Bert, Micheline, and so many others...

It's been a long year

Jake and I were engaged now and going to be married soon. Things were looking up for us, it seemed.

And all this mess around me's finally cleared

As we walked through the bustling streets of Atlanta, you could barely tell there had even been an outbreak.

So can I have a moment

Finally we reached a small shop on the corner and Jake knocked on the door as I stood beside him.

Just to say hello?

I grinned as the door opened to reveal Teresa holding her babygirl on her hip.

"Hey!" I said excitedly as she pulled me in for a hug.

Can you let your anger go?

As we clamored into the small apartment, we were greeted by Jana, Lex, and Xander as well as Quentin. I smiled as Jake wrapped an arm around my waist as we all settled into the living room, talking and laughing.

It's been a long year

I rested my head on Jake's shoulder as everyone talked and he placed a feather-light kiss on my cheek before whispering, "I love you."

And I'm finally ready to be here...

"I love you too." I murmured, looking up at him as he smiled.

Resting my head on his shoulder once more, I closed my eyes as a smile graced my face...