Love Song Requiem

*start song*

Tears streamed down Jake's face as he held Katie's body in his arms, blood covering her face, her eyes wide open - seeing nothing. My heart broke as I watched them from afar. He didn't deserve this. So much bad had happened in his life already. He had fallen in love with Katie as much as it pained me but I still wanted him to be happy. And now he was broken...and it broke me. The nurses came, clad in suits, and took her body away from Jake as he cried. I shut my blue eyes briefly, taking a deep breath and memories came back to me. Memories of only a few weeks ago.

~ Flashback ~

Emily will find a better place to fall asleep

She belongs to fairy tales that I could never be

I had laid down to go to sleep that night and I could hear them talking in the hallway. They were always together now, always hanging out. She was so pretty and so many things that I could never be. I guess that's why he picked her.

The future haunts with memories that I could never have

And hope is just a stranger wondering how it got so bad

The next day, I heard them talking about the future - about having a life together, about her and Jake having kids. That would never be me, I knew. How in the world had I tricked myself into believing I could have a life with him? As I walked away, I suddenly felt eyes on me and turned around.

I die each time you look away

My heart, my life will never be the same

Jake stood staring at me. I smiled at him but he just looked away. I sighed and felt a part of me die. Why had I ever fell in love with him? A man I could never have? That would never love me back? I knew better than that.

This love will take my everything

One breath, one touch will be the end of me

I'd do anything for him, it had always been that way. Ever since we were kids I had always loved him - even though it took all of me. There were moments before where he'd lean too close or hug me too long that made my heart ache because it didn't affect him the way it affected me.

I walked out of the room then, my heart slowly breaking as I tried not to cry.

You could be the final straw that brings me back to earth

Ever-waiting airports full of the love that you deserve

Ever since my parents had split up when I was 16, Jake had been my constant, my comfort in a world seemingly full of misery. He was everything to me then. He even brought me back from the airport when I'd tried to run away from it all. He'd given me the love of a friend in a dark part of my life.

Wishing I could find a way to wash away the past

Knowing that my heart will break

After Jake started dating in high school, I tried to wish away my feelings if at all possible. I couldn't keep living with these feelings every day. It was torture.

But at least the pain will last...

A choked sob emitted from my lips and I quickly covered it with my hand. But it didn't help and soon, I was full-on sobbing in the empty room.

~ End of Flashback ~

I die each time you look away

My heart, my life will never be the same

Jake's eyes met mine as they took Katie away but he quickly looked away from me. I looked down at my shoes and closed my eyes briefly. He still held my heart even though his was broken. I wish I could help him, make him feel again.

This love will take my everything

One breath, one touch will be the end of me

I walked over to Jake as he took off his blood-stained white suit. His watery eyes looked up at me and suddenly, he fell into my arms, sobbing. Slowly, we both sank to our knees. I cradled his head against my chest as he wept, my fingers threading their way through his short brown hair. His breath came in gasps as he cried and I bit back tears of my own as I watched his pain overtake him.

The next few days were terrible. Jake didn't talk to anyone, he even shut me out. The pain was too much for him, I knew. We crossed paths in the hallway and he would just nod to me as he passed by. I knew it was breaking him but I wanted to be the comfort for him that he'd always been to me. And he wouldn't let me.

But one day he surprised me. He was lying down in the middle of the floor of the old storage room. I bit my lip and lied down beside him. Slowly, I turned my head to look at him and my light-blue eyes met his oceanic ones.

Emily will find a better place to fall asleep

"You'll find happiness again, Jake. I promise." I said and hesitantly brushed a stray strand of brown hair from his forehead.

He caught my hand in his making me gasp softly from the contact.

Maybe she will save me in the oceans of her dream

Ever so slowly, he leaned closer to me and my eyelids fluttered closed. His soft pink lips brushed across my own and my lips moved with his. His hand found my waist and pulled me to him. I lost myself in the kiss and the feel of his lips. Was this truly happening? I could barely believe it.

And maybe someday love

"And maybe someday love..." he whispered against my skin briefly before kissing me once more.

He deepened the kiss and I melted, my fingers playing with the hair at the back of his neck. My heart soared in my chest as he held me and the world faded away.

Maybe someday love

Nothing else existed right now. Nothing except for him and me. The virus, everything - all of it didn't matter. All that mattered was that Jake loved me. And I loved him. Nothing could tear us apart now.

We were one. Like we had always been....we both had just been too blind. How could everything fall into place in a world so messed up as this one? How could things work out this way? Was it even meant to be? Of course it was. We had always been meant to be. Always.

Maybe someday love

I fell asleep in his arms that night. He held me and protected me from all of the evil. All of the sickness. I was safe in his arms. As I always had been...