Alphabet Boy

Note: Okay, so I've had this idea for a while but I had no clue how to go about writing it haha XD But I did finally figure it out so here it is :)

Elementary School - Age 12

Jake Riley walked into class that day with a smug expression that I wished I could just slap off of his face. Ever since he and his mom had moved into town, he had irritated me. Unfortunately, Jake was my next-door neighbor so I had to see him on a daily basis - whether it was going to get the mail or just looking out of my bedroom window that looked into his.

I rolled my eyes as he plopped down in the seat behind me.

Always aiming paper airplanes at me when you're around

As class started, Jake thew a paper airplane at me, hitting me in the back of the head. I clenched my jaw and tried to ignore him.

You build me up like building blocks just so you can bring me down

"Oh, Natalie, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to hit you..." he whispered to me as I finally turned around to look at him, "...that hard."

You can crush my candy cane but you'll never catch me cry

He smirked then and I just scoffed, spinning back around.

Graduation Day - Age 18

If you dangle that diploma and I dead, you, don't be surprised

It was graduation day now and just as my name was called, Jake tripped me with his foot as I stepped out onto the stage. I bit the floor, face-first, in front of everyone.

I know my ABCs, yet you keep teaching me

As soon as I got up, I charged over to a grinning Jake and swung my fist at him, knocking him in the jaw.

Let's just say it was a good day after all.

College - Age 20

I say, your degree, alphabet boy

You think you're smarter than me with all your bad poetry

I say, your degree, alphabet boy

All your ABCs, alphabet boy

Jake had gotten his degree before I had and he just loved waving it in my face, gloating about how he was better than me since he'd passed Drama and I hadn't.

I'm not a little kid now

Watch me get big now

Spell my name on the fridge now

With all your alphabet toys

"Would you quit?!" I yelled at him, shoving him away from me, "I'm 20 years old! I'm not that dumb little kid that you can just push around anymore, Jake!"

His eyes softened for a split-second before that arrogant gleam returned to them.

"Actually, as long as I'm three months older and taller, I can and will !" he smirked.

"UGH!!!" I shouted as I stormed away from him, his dark laughter seeming to follow me.

You won the spelling bee now,

But are you smarter than me now?

I slammed down my phone as the call ended. Apparently, Jake had been accepted into the Police Academy...ahead of me. Why did this always happen? He got everything first and it wasn't even fair! I worked ten times harder than he did but it never mattered!