Claustrophobia

I wasn't supposed to follow him. I mean, he gave me strict orders not to. But I've never really been one to follow rules. So I sneaked out of the hospital to follow Jake while he went on a mission. Only for safety reasons, of course. And boredom. There was some boredom, too.

So now I was in the building where Jake's ex-girlfriend, and her fellow employees worked. Oh. Did I forget to mention that we were trapped in here with a psycho deranged gang who were trying to kill us? No? Must have slipped my mind.

I helped Jana and the others secure the rooms. Jake had left a few minutes ago to close the vents on the roof. Gosh, I hope he was safe up there. I was proud of him being a cop but at the same time, it terrified me. Every day he went out there, I was scared to death something would happen to him. I shook off the feeling and helped push the upside-down tables into place over the vents.

"Wait! Do you guys hear that?" Jana asked, putting her hand up to silence us.

A banging sound started coming through the vents. Suddenly, a man in an orange jumpsuit crawled by below us and started pushing on the vents, trying to get inside. I gasped as Jana started spraying him with a can, making fire engulf his body. He screamed in pain as he made his way back the way he'd come. I sighed in relief as Jake came charging through the doors.

"What happened? Are you okay?" he asked frantically, checking me over.

I nodded, biting my lip.

"They tried to come through the vents. We took care of it." Jana told him.

"So what do we do now?" I asked hesitantly, looking to Jake.

Jake sighed, glancing at Jana.

"We hope they don't get in here."

2 hours later...

It was worse now that it had been earlier. One of the employees had died. And some of the intruders were infected. We'd done all we could in here but we were running out of ideas. My eyes drifted over to Jake and Jana who were talking inside one of the other rooms. He said something and I saw her laugh.

A twinge of jealousy shot through me but I pushed it down. No, I mustn't think that. Jake loved me. I didn't have to be worried or jealous with him. I bit my lip and sighed as I got up to check the monitor in the other glass room by the elevator. Once I entered the room, I reached my hand out to press one of the buttons.

Suddenly, the lights flickered out and I was enveloped in complete darkness.

"Jake!" I shrieked as I banged against the glass.

My claustrophobia mixed with my fear of the dark and I could feel tightness starting in my chest. I could hear Jake's heavy combat boots running towards me but I couldn't see him. I swiveled my head in every direction as I searched for him.

"Hey, hey, shh, baby, it's okay. I'm here, I'm right here." Jake said suddenly.

I looked to my left and saw his face pressed up against the glass. Letting out a breath, I rested my hand on the cold hard glass.

"Jake, please, get me out of here." I sobbed, tears racing down my cheeks in droves.

"Jana's working on that right now. We're gonna get you out of there." he promised me as he sat down beside me on the other side.

Sobs wracked my body and the walls felt like they were closing in around me. I put my hand over my heart as it became harder to breath.

"Jake. Jake, I can't - I can't do this! Oh my gosh, Jake! Jake! I said, hyperventilating.

"Baby, shh, it's gonna be fine. Calm down, sweetheart, I'm right here. I'm not leaving you. Take deep breaths. It's going to be alright." he said, attempting to calm me down.

Suddenly, the lights powered back on and the door that was locking me inside hissed open. As it did, we jumped up form the floor and I ran into Jake's waiting arms. I clung to him, crying into his uniform. His hands rubbed small circles on my back and I could smell his cologne. He shushed me and held me tightly.

"It's alright now. I won't ever let that happen again. I promise." he said, gazing deep into my eyes.

He leaned down to my level and kissed me. It was a gentle, soft kiss and it warmed me up inside. If we had to go through this apocalypse, I'm glad I had him.