Glad You're Here

Things were fine. Okay, maybe that was an understatement...okay, a massive understatement. The world was in shambles, people were panicking, and some were dying. But for me and my boyfriend, Jake Riley...things were fine. We were both inside the cordon and although he had a job to do, Jake always checked up on me. Always took care of me. That was something he'd always been doing even before all of this. But ever since the outbreak, he'd been even more protective. I didn't mind, though. I loved being around him all the time.

And now I'd be seeing him again. The government had announced a food-drop and I was coming to collect my box. And to see Jake, who I knew would be there. I blushed at the thought as I rounded the corner. People had formed lines to get food and there were four or five cops presiding over it all. I looked around until my eyes landed on a cop at the head of the line, passing out boxes. Jake.

I waved my arm in the air, trying to get his attention. When I finally did, the grinned at me and began walking over.

"Hey, beautiful, come to see me?" he asked, cheekily.

I smirked at him, putting my hands on my hips.

"Actually, I come for food," I replied, rolling my eyes.

He put his hand to his heart like I'd wounded him.

"And here, I thought it was me." he said with a fake hurt expression.

He started to hand me one of the boxes when suddenly, a truck drove up filled with thugs. As they got out of the vehicle, I noticed they had guns. Lots of them. I tensed at that and moved closer to Jake.

"We want the food, man. Give it to us and we won't have a problem here." the leader said, shoving his gun in Jake's face.

I bit my lip nervously as Jake just looked at him in disgust, his gun raised as well.

"No! This food is for the everyone. We'll make sure you get some. Just put the gun down." Jake ordered him.

The leader looked in my direction, finally noticing me hiding behind Jake.

"Yeah, that's not going to happen. But maybe you need a little motivation." he sneered as he signaled to one of his minions.

Suddenly, one of them grabbed me by the arm and brought me over to the leader.

"NO!" Jake yelled, his gun still raised in defense mode.

The leader looked me over before pulling me to him. He brushed a strand of hair from my eyes and I flinched at his touch.

"What a pretty little girlfriend you have here, Officer," he smirked, turning me around to face Jake.

I saw a million different emotions on his face - fear, anger, guilt, aggression.

"Let. Her. Go." Jake said through clenched teeth.

The man just laughed sadistically as I squirmed underneath his grasp.

"But see, I can't do that, can I? Cause if I do, I won't get my food. And that's what we came here for, right, boys?" he asked the men surrounding him.

They cheered in a way that made me cringe.

"But if I don't get my food...this pretty girlfriend of yours might just end up with a bullet in her brain." he said, menacingly as the cold metal of his gun touched the side of my head.

I squirmed even more but he just held me tighter.

"NO! No, no, don't do that...stand down, men." Jake said to the police officers behind him, his anger mixing with his fear for my life.

"But, sir-" one of them started to object.

"STAND DOWN!" Jake barked, the police immediately complying with his order.

Jake lowered his gun as well.

"That's what I thought." the leader said, grinning as he pushed me towards Jake.

I fell into his arms sobbing and clutched at his police vest. Jake shushed me and held me tight, placing kisses in my hair as the men loaded up the remaining boxes of food. When they had finally gone, Jake took my face in his hands and made me meet his eyes.

"Are you okay? He didn't hurt you, did he?" he asked, frantically as he checked me over.

"Jake, I'm fine. I'm just...I'm just glad you're here," I said as fresh hot tears started streaming down my face again.

"Shh, shh, it's okay, baby, it's okay," he soothed as I buried my face in his chest, "I won't ever let that happen again, I promise."

He ran his fingers through my hair then as he held me, chasing all my fears away...