chapter twelve

You felt a stone drop into your stomach as multiple sets of eyes landed on you. The way they looked at you let you know how they felt: some were joyful and excited, others filled with boredom and exhaustion. However, a few glares were unidentifiable, which made the hair on the back of your neck slowly rise and goosebumps raise across your arms.

"Would you please come downstairs?" A rather deep voice rang out in your mind, causing you to nearly jump out of your skin. A few chuckles came from the group below, but were quickly silenced by a "look" from the faceless man.
"Do not worry, we will not harm you." The voice reassured, tone calm and cool.
You could hear someone, the man with burned black hair, mumble something under his breath before he was smacked over the head by something and fell into an angry silence.

You weighed your options quietly before starting to go down the steps. It wasn't like you had anywhere to run but upstairs and back into the room you had woken up in. You could see the male you shoved over the stair railing get up, twitching again. He easily walked over to the group, seeming perfectly fine and healthy.
...How....?

When you reached the bottom of the steps, you stopped completely. You didn't feel comfortable stepping any closer, but the faceless man in the suit beckoned you to him. You took a deep breath and continued walking, stopping once you were only a couple of feet away from the male who called you.

The faceless man turned to a man in a black hoodie wearing a blue mask with black tears, seeming to have a mental conversation with him. The man appeared to put a up a bit of an argument before reluctantly removing his black gloves. He walked over to you quickly, making you face him and examining you for... wounds, you supposed.
He prodded your bloody shirt with his hand, causing you to grit your teeth in pain. He hummed quietly and examined your shoulder next, seeing the wound was minor as he moved along. Blood was smeared across his ash gray hand in the process.
You could hear his stomach growl loudly, causing you to blink in surprise. He lifted up his mask, opening his mouth of sharp teeth, before licking the red substance from his hand. You stared at him in slight horror and disgust. Did this man have a weird blood fetish or something?!

The male turned to the faceless being. "Their chest still hasn't healed, but it isn't bleeding as much as it was before." He turned back to you. "They don't look very strong, either. I don't even see why we have to keep them around." He grabbed your arm roughly, squishing the flesh in between his fingers. "Why not just kill them right now? It'll be much easier, and no one will find them." He looked at you, lowering his mask back down. You could feel a ravenous hunger coming from him, which made you immediately nervous.

The burned-hair man looked at the masked man, a seemingly competitive aura coming off of him. "They may look weak, but..." His terrifying grin seemed to widen as a chuckle escaped his mouth. "When they have a nice sharp knife and a bit of encouragement, they're useful." The masked man seemed to glare at the sickly white male, allowing you to tug your arm free. He didn't seem to notice, or even care.

You felt a bit confused by that statement, but you were too scared to question what he meant. You took a step away from the two; you didn't want to be anywhere near them. The masked man because he seemed to be interested in... consuming you... And the burned man because he had killed...

The faceless man shook his head and looked at the two. "That is enough you two." He 'looked' back at you as the two men turned away from each other, still angry.
"I am sure you have many questions about why you are here. I can assure you that what we did was for a good reason, even if you may currently not believe so. If you would follow me, I could explain this to you in my office." He turned away and seemingly began gliding through the room and out into another section of the house. You quickly hurried after him; you didn't want to be alone with the others in the room.

As you left, they turned back to the television, watching as a random woman was beaten to death with a pipe by a man in a dirty yellow jacket.

-*-*-*-

As you followed the extremely tall man through a corridor, you looked around nervously. You hoped you wouldn't get lost when you tried to escape this place... That would be a horrible failure that could possibly lead to your death.
The both of you passed through what seemed to be a kitchen, where you could see a dog lying on the floor. You felt a bit relieved at the familiar animal, until it turned to look at you. A grin filled with human teeth replaced its normal sharp canines, which greatly disturbed you. You quickly looked away, seeing a man dressed in monotone clothing sitting at the large table, playing with what appeared to be candy. A mad giggle escaped his black-painted lips, and he began to laugh even more as you hurriedly left the room.

The tall man led you down one more hallway, opening the large wooden door at the end of it.
"Please, take a seat." He said calmly, closing the door after you stepped in. You sat in one of the wooden chairs in front of a desk, looking up at the black chair there. You jumped when you saw the man already sitting there. When had he--

"Allow me to introduce myself." He interrupted your thoughts. "I am often referred to as the Slenderman or the Operator by the mortal world, but you can refer to me as Slenderman or Slender. I prefer those titles." You nodded silently, giving your acknowledgment to his request.
"Now you may have many questions, which I will do my best to answer and explain. You are a very crucial piece in our world. And by our, I refer to all of those living in this household and others like us. Humans refer to us as Creepypasta, and we accept the title in order to... categorize ourselves."

You blinked at the overwhelming amount of information thrown at you, taking a moment to process his words.
"E-excuse me, but how am I important?" You asked quietly.

"Well, let us say that you are not the average mortal. You are an elite type of human and are therefore much more powerful than another person of your age," Slender explained.

"How do you know I'm special?" You asked, a bit reluctant to believe his words.

"You did not die of your stab wound, which would be very difficult for a normal human to survive," he said in a casual tone.
"How do you know--"
"It was directly to your heart, (Name)."
You stared at him before dropping your eyes to your lap.

"Are there any other questions you have?"  Slender asked patiently.

"U-uh..." You choked on your words. "What.. Do you mean by 'elite'?"

"You have a unique combination of qualities other humans do not usually have. High stamina, exceptional intelligence, a high pain tolerance..." Slenderman trailed off.

"But... why do you need me--"

"We do not necessarily require you," Slender interrupted you with a bit of anger, causing you to shrink in your seat. "We just cannot allow you to fall into the arms of another one of... our kind." Slender seemed to be glaring at a nonexistent being in the room, and you could swear you could see something rising out from his back.

"... May I ask who?" You said quietly.

Slenderman seemed to force himself to calm down before answering you.

"Of course. Humans call him... Zalgo."